Establishing a remote connection (VPN) to an Aalto network
A remote connection, or a VPN connection, enables users to use the services of Aalto University outside of the university's network. At Aalto University, the client available is automatically distributed to all Aalto installed laptops.
The remote connection can also be installed on students’ and employees’ own devices, in which case using the VPN requires the installation of separate client software and the specification of the connection address from the device’s settings.
Aalto's Windows 10 laptops
1. Open the Start menu by pressing the Windows button, and select Aalto VPN connection (see image below).
2. In the window that opens, click Connect.
3. Your laptop has now a remote connection.
When you want to close the connection,
1. Select the arrow in the bottom right bar (item 1. in the image) and the VPN remote connection icon (item 2. in the image).
2. In the window that then opens, select Disconnect.
3. The remote connection has now been closed.
Aalto's Windows 7 laptops
1. Select the Start menu. The new VPN application can be found in the Aalto IT folder, with the name Aalto VPN connection. You can also use the search function in Windows and find the application with the search term ‘VPN’. The search should return the Aalto VPN connection icon as the result. Open the application by pressing the left mouse button.
2. Make sure that the connection address is set as vpn.aalto.fi. If this is not the case, you can type the address (vpn.aalto.fi) in the pull-down menu intended for it.
3. Press the Connect button and wait for the grey icon above the lock to turn green and for the VPN test to turn to a text that reads Connected to vpn.aalto.fi. The VPN connection has now been established successfully. You will receive a message about a successful creation of the VPN connection in the bottom right corner of the screen, next to the clock.
4. When you want to close the VPN connection, press the VPN remote connection icon next to the clock to open the Cisco window. When the window is visible, you can close the connection by pressing the Disconnect button.
Aalto VPN is not operational in the eduroam network used on Aalto campuses. If, for some reason, you need the VPN connection while on campus, you can use Aalto Open and Cisco’s VPN application, for example.
Aalto's Mac laptops
1. Open the Spotlight search and use the search term Cisco. Select the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client application and click it open.
2. The application opens a new window. Make sure that the address in the pull-down box is in the format vpn.aalto.fi
3. Press Connect to create a VPN connection.
NOTE! When you open the Cisco application for the first time, it may be updated. If an update is required, you will receive the message below, and the application is updated automatically.
4. When the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Downloader window has closed, press the icon that has appeared in the top corner of the screen. This brings out the VPN menu. In this menu, you can, for instance, open the Cisco AnyConnect window where you can check the status of the VPN connection by pressing the Show AnyConnect Window text. You can also close the VPN connection by pressing the Disconnect text below the grey VPN text.
5. The VPN connection has been established when there is green symbol above the lock in the AnyConnect window, and when the text Connected to vpn.aalto.fi is shown below the VPN text.
NOTE! Aalto VPN is not operational in the eduroam network used on Aalto campuses. If you need the VPN connection while on campus, use the aalto open network and Cisco’s VPN connection. You can also use the wireless aalto network, in which case you do not need to use the VPN connection!
Aalto's Linux laptops
When you establish a remote connection to Aalto for the first time, you will be asked for your Aalto password. The password is saved after the first log-in, and in the future the connection is made automatically after you have selected Aalto TLS VPN.
1. Open the menu and select first VPN Connections and then Aalto TLS VPN.
2. Enter your Aalto password in the Password field. Press OK.
3. Your computer has a remote connection when you receive the following message:
Remote connection to students’ and employees’ own devices
A VPN remote connection can be installed on many different devices and platforms. However, the remote connection always requires the installation of the client software and the specification of the connection address from the device’s settings.
The connection address is the same for all platforms: vpn.aalto.fi
1. Installation of the client software
- Windows, Mac, Linux computers You can download the Client software from https://download.aalto.fi/ (recommended). The software can also be downloaded from https://vpn.aalto.fi. If the offered Cisco-VPN client does not work in your own Linux computer, try your distrubution's openconnect-package instead.
- Android You can download AnyConnect application for Android devices from Google Play.
- iOS You can download AnyConnect application for iOS devices from Apple’s iTunes service.
- Windows phones AnyConnect is also available for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile devices from Windows Store
2. Establishing a connection
Once you have installed the Client application on your device, enter the connection address as vpn.aalto.fi. After this, use your own Aalto user ID for the log-in.
Eduroam is an international, academic roaming system that is primarily intended for visitors to Aalto University.
You can use the instructions below to share the wireless network in your phone (iPhone or Android) with your computer (hotspot).
Aalto University has three wireless networks available.