IT services for students
Click on the plus sign to see more information on the subject.
- Activate your account e.g. with banking credentials https://password.aalto.fi/
- Account expires four months after the end of the study rights.
- One Aalto password for all your needs (email, workstations, wifi, ...)
- Password policy:
- Minimum 12 characters
- Password maximum lifetime 730 days
- Password minimum lifetime 24 hours
- Complexity: must contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers
- Åäö should not be used
- Math marks do not work on all servers, as also å,ä,ö
- You can use the same password only once
- How to change your password instructions at https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/changing-a-password
For more information see Cyber Security for students. The page also includes a link to the MyCourses training package intended for all Aalto University students, regardless of their field of study.
- Do not use the same password in other services!
- Email is inherently suspicious: do not trust the Sender field or attachments
- Check your URL when entering passwords
- Always log out from your workstation when stepping out or lock if you are returning soon
- Take care of the security of your own PC as well
- USB memory sticks are easy to lose or break and can contain viruses
- Respect other users’ privacy: email, files, passwords, sessions
- Personal data (e.g. email addresses, student numbers) not to be distributed
- Confidential research/business data
- You are responsible for the activity on your account
- Commercial, political, sectarian activity forbidden per Usage Policy, but exception: student union activity
- We back-up most of the data, but you have the ultimate responsibility
- Second, private email address convenient, because you will lose your university address upon leaving/graduation
- Secondary email address easier to throw away
- Use common sense
- More policies and instructions:
At Aalto we use Multifactor Authentication (MFA, 2FA) to ensure that our information stays secure. MFA is a method of confirming a user’s identity with two or more pieces of evidence when signing on to a system or a service.
Read more on Aalto Multifactor Authentication | Aalto University
- Never tell anyone your password
- IT Services personnel will never want or need your password
- Your account is personal, not for sharing
- Try to remember the password
- If you have to write it down, hide it and keep it away from your username
- If you get an email from anywhere asking for your password, do not reply
- Instructions on reporting phishing attempts on aalto.fi (https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/how-to-report-a-malicious-or-suspicious-email)
- If you forget: password.aalto.fi (with banking credentials, mobile certificate or HST card) or come to IT Service Desk with your ID. Must be done in person.
- Change all your passwords regularly and also when you suspect it’s no longer secret
- More information about good passwords on aalto.fi.
- Usually f[email protected] (sometimes middle initial)
- Aalto cloud email with 100 GB of space: Aalto cloud email | Aalto University
- Coud email web address: http://office.com
- You can use Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Outlook for iPhone and Android
- Instructions to configure at aalto.fi/it, eg. Aalto email for your phone
- Official IT reminders (password expiring etc.) to Aalto address, forwarding possible for students
- Uses same password as other services
- Spam filtering, Junk e-mail folder
- Will be erased after you leave Aalto University
- more information: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/email-calendar
- Communication channel for the whole Aalto University https://aalto.fi
- Student Guide all studying information
- IT instructions you´ll find on https://aalto.fi/it
- “Good old office” (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) with secure cloud services (One Drive)
- Also for your own device at home!
- Works with your Aalto account
- File sharing and teamwork
- Home directory automatically visible as Z: drive when you log on to a Windows workstation in a classroom
- Also visible on Aalto Mac and Linux workstations
- Accessible also via SFTP on our Linux servers (kosh.org.aalto.fi and lyta.aalto.fi)
- More information: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/data-storage-file-services
- Aalto home directory quota 100 GB for your own files on network drive :Z
- Remember! Your files from network drive will be erased when you graduate.
- Use also a memory stick or USB hard disk to backup all your important files. Computer can crash, network does not always work, etc. All very important files should be saved to 3 places.
3 networks: aalto open, aalto and eduroam
Aalto open: Unsecured network!
- No authentication, just connect and browse, but traffic is not encrypted!
- NAT in use beginning January 2014
- Safe and encrypted
Eduroam: pan-european network of wifi networks, secure
- You can use any eduroam network in Europe, in Finland eg. Helsinki University
- Traffic encrypted
- Needs configuration and Thawte root certificate, check https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/installation-instructions-for-eduroam
- Most services allowed, SMTP blocked
- Printing not possible
- Lots of Access Points at the campus, notify IT Services if there is lack of coverage
- AnyConnect VPN links your laptop or mobile phone to Aalto Network /storage drive https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/establishing-a-remote-connection-vpn-to-an-aalto-network
- You can access an Aalto virtual workstation from your own device from anywhere using VDI https://vdi.aalto.fi/. More information: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/vdiaaltofi-how-to-use-aalto-virtual-desktop-infrastructure
- Classroom BW printers
- Instructions: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/printing-at-aalto-university
- Professional print jobs etc. provided by Unigrafia, costs money, prices available at Unigrafia’s site
- Out of toner / printer jammed?
- Ask help from janitors
- Send email to [email protected]
- Visit the service desk on the campus
- Remote access to Windows classroom computers
- Almost in all buildings in Otaniemi: computer availability http://computers.aalto.fi
- Maarintalo, open 24/7 (excl. Midsummer and Christmas)
- A lot of workstations (Win / Linux) in classrooms and group work areas
- Student card required in classrooms!
- Also other 24/7 classrooms with separate access cards
- Windows 10, Linux and Mac classrooms
- Different applications depending on the classroom, see the Aalto IT Windows Classroom Software List (login as Aalto user)
- All workstations have basic software (Windows: MS Office, Firefox, etc.)https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/default-applications-on-windows-workstations
- Scanners in Maari lobby, Kandi building hub and Kandi building 3rd floor printing point
- Some departments’ classrooms
- Student hubs and group work spaces
- Softwares for staff and students homeuse
- Special software purchased for the University for which license terms enable the installations in staff and students home computers can be downloaded from download.aalto.fi.
- Microsoft Teams is an Aalto Office 365 application, and it enables efficient teamwork.
Cloud storage - OneDrive & Google Drive
- OneDrive for Business and Google Drive offer almost unlimited online storage space and offer the possibility to share and modify files, for example directly from the browser.
- Create your own workspaces for collaboration, sharing information, etc.
- Control who can edit, read, administrate
- students Start writing your own blog
- Follow other blogs and comment
- Create and share video presentations on panopto.aalto.fi https://wiki.aalto.fi/display/OPIT/Panopto
Aalto University Data Hub
The Aalto University Data Hub makes research data easier to find and promotes the reuse of costly datasets. Whether you are a student searching for data to start writing your thesis or a senior researcher with a long-established research field, the Data Hub can be of use to you. Our catalogue of data sources (data sets, databases, vendors, repositories, and other data providers) contains information about data resources, which are available for students and researchers, covering many research fields related to Aalto's six schools. You may very likely come across data which you were not aware even existed. Additionally, our dedicated staff offers supporting data-related services - we are here to help you obtain access to and get started with new data.
- First point of contact for all issues
- Possible problems elevated to proper address by IT Service Desk: +358 50 513 2000 and email [email protected]
- Check opening hours and locations: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/it-service-desk-contact-information-and-service-hours
- Check for news, exceptions, maintenance breaks, etc: https://www.aalto.fi/en/it-help
- Aalto Space mobile application allows you to book conference and group work facilities and helps you navigate the campus https://aaltocre.fi/en/aaltospace/