Workstations and laptops
An Aalto workstation is a computer that is owned or rented by Aalto University and which is used for carrying out various teaching, research or administrative tasks.
More about procurement of Aalto workstationsAalto IT Services provides centrally managed workstations with Linux, OS X and Windows operating systems. All Aalto workstations use the same Aalto username and password authentication.
More about Aalto workstations
More about workstation models supported by Aalto IT
More about different types of Aalto workstations
As a researcher, you can choose a suitable workstation from the range of Aalto IT workstations according to your research needs and your department's recommendations. The most commonly used workstation types by researchers are academic workstation and research workstation.
A research workstation at Aalto University is a workstation designed primarily for use by teaching and research staff. Its use is justified when an academic workstation is too limited in terms of its rights or functionality. A research workstation specifically takes account of special situations in research and teaching. For this reason, the aim is to set as few restrictions on the settings of a research workstation as possible.
The following are the main features of research workstations.
- A research workstation combines the best features of a workstation connected to the domain and a standalone workstation
- Users can get administrator privileges for justifiable reasons. Settings have been made such that, if necessary, they can be changed from default settings.
- Files can be stored in their own directory on a local workstation (C:\LocalUserData)
- A research workstation can be configured to include a remote access connection whereby a workstation performing a simulation, for instance, can be connected remotely to see the current status of the simulation.
Aalto Workstation benefits
||For department admins
- Single-sign-on: Just log in to the computer and all other Aalto services will work automatically
- IT admins will take care of centralized software delivery, updates and anti-virus updates
- The basic software is installed on all workstations
- Software Self Services portal can be used to install additional software
- If something is missing from the Software Self Services, you can ask it to be packaged for you
- In case of computer software or hardware problems, a new computer can be installed quickly with the same configuration
- Files synchronized to file servers are backed up automatically. Default folders redirected to the file server are My Documents and Desktop
- Settings are similar in all workstations which helps to solve possible problems
- IT infrastructure in Aalto is uniform when using the same tools, services and systems
- Operations are more effective, communicating easier and response times shorter
- Time and workload decreases on routine based tasks
- Cost and time savings
- Admins have more time for real development and solving difficult problems
The following are some useful links when it comes to workstations and laptops:
More about delivery of workstations and laptops
End-user instructions for workstation activation
If you have any questions or problems with Aalto workstations and laptops, don't hesitate to contact us at:
- For general information: IT Service Desk
- For specific cases and needs: IT Customer Relationship Managers at your own school