Wireless Network at Aalto
- encrypted network with an Aalto user ID
- an internal network aimed at staff members
- automatic connection with an Aalto workstation
- access to the same services as through Aalto’s wired network
- encrypted network
- a network for the international, academic roaming system
- the same user ID can be used for an international log-in to eduroam
- users can even log in with user IDs of partner universities
- if you have an Aalto laptop, the eduroam setting should be predefined
- to use eduroam on a personal laptop, download eduroam installer here: cat.eduroam.org
- unencrypted network
- no log-in required, a network that is completely
- open to everyone
|Networks's name||aalto||eduroam||aalto open|
|Indentification||with an automatic workstation log-in||
open network, no identification
Aalto IT provides three wireless networks through its centralized system of wireless networks: aalto that is directed at staff members (SSID: aalto), eduroam (SSID: eduroam), and aalto open that is aimed at visitors (SSID: aalto open).
There is no need to log in to the aalto network when an Aalto workstation is used. Users can access all the same services from this network as from Aalto’s wired data communication network. Users can also log in to the wireless aalto network with a personal device, but in such case some of Aalto’s services are not available. When using a personal device, the eduroam network is recommended.
eduroam is an international service that offers visitors a secure network connection, free of charge, with identification for their own home organisation.
Access to the aalto network is restricted to those who have a workstation in centralized maintenance at Aalto, or an Aalto ID and password.
Access to the eduroam network is restricted to those who have a valid Aalto ID and password or a user ID from another university in the eduroam network.
If you have any questions or you are experiencing problems, please send a service request here: servicedesk.aalto.fi
People at Aalto, i.e. those with an Aalto user ID, can connect their devices to Aalto University’s network outside of the network, by means of the AnyConnect VPN service. This helps them, for example, use the network’s internal services and read files stored on Aalto’s network disk
Eduroam is an international, academic roaming system that is primarily intended for visitors to Aalto University.