Collaborative and Industrial Design
Collaborative and Industrial Design MA
The studies in Collaborative and Industrial Design (CoID) focus on design's role in society. Students develop skills enabling them to work as design experts and leaders, entrepreneurs, and innovators in a range of roles within industry, business, communities, education, and the public sector.
The Collaborative and Industrial Design major extends industrial design into interaction design, service design, co-design, and other emerging fields where design activities can enhance the quality of the environment and people’s lives. Students learn emphatic, critical, strategic, and technical competencies and capabilities needed in design innovation processes. They are also encouraged to explore novel roles in design and industry. Over the duration of their major studies, students will develop an understanding of design in relation to innovation and contemporary culture, be it local or global, private, or public. The students will also develop an extensive ability to design, lead design projects, and collaborate with designers and non-designers, and thus become able to shape change in communities and companies.
Aalto University is now ranked 6th in the world in the field of art and design by QS World University Ranking. The world-class teaching and facilities ensure that, upon graduating from the study option, graduates are able to:
- Apply design practices to social, environmental, organizational, and technological transformations
- Apply design strategically in the context of product development and innovation.
- Integrate collaborative and human-centred approach into different scales and domains
- Use creative design, systems thinking, and participatory approaches to develop solutions accountably and ethically
- Provide design expertise and leadership in complex projects in multidisciplinary teams
- Articulate and transfer understanding of design process to other design and non-design competencies
- Create future-oriented products, services, and systems as a member of a multidisciplinary or trans-disciplinary team and/or as an individual designer
- Combine creativity, curiosity, continuous renewal and expression with analytical skills and practice
- Understand how to lead and communicate design-driven, often complex processes with empathy, critical thinking, and research-founded reasoning
- Comprehend how design contributes to socio-material transformations for a sustainable future
- Undertake design research to build knowledge to support and justify the practical work, and to apply for education leading to a Doctor of Arts degree
Language of instruction
In the Collaborative and Industrial Design studies, the language of instruction is English.
School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Aalto University
PO Box 31000, FI-00076 AALTO, FINLAND