From Concepts to Designs
After successfully completing this course, students are able to:
- Iteratively develop further an existing concept
- Plan and execute prototypes and their development of a conceptual design to a validated concept level, demonstrating a strong design intent.
- Perform assessment of a design in multiple dimensions, including e.g. manufacturability and sustainability impacts of conceptual decisions.
- Articulate and present designs and the respective validation studies.
- Reflect on the development path.
The course has a lecture and workshop series, that supports the team design projects. The starting point is an existing design concept prepared prior to the course, which then is iteratively developed to more mature design, including testing. Prototyping is a method used to gather insights of the problem space. The different dimensions of complexity are discussed during the course, as are methods of addressing them, e.g. modularity in product architecture design.