Application and the required application documents
The application consists of the electronic application form, the obligatory application documents and study-option-specific application documents, if any. If a study option requires study-option-specific documents, they are listed on the web page of the study option.
You can fill in the application form only during the application period, from 1 December 2021 at 9.00 to 3 January 2022 at 15.00 (GMT +2). Read the application instructions and the study-option-specific evaluation criteria carefully before filling in the application form.
The deadline for the application documents is 10 January 2022 at 15.00 (GMT +2). All documents have to be uploaded to the online application form before the deadline. Documents received after the deadline are not considered. If an obligatory application document is not submitted as required by the deadline, the application will be rejected as incomplete. We recommend uploading all the documents as early as possible.
Carefully scan the original documents and save them in colour PDF format. Scan the documents in the correct orientation so that a horizontal document is displayed horizontally, and a vertical document is displayed vertically. Name the files as instructed (e.g. Transcript-lastname-firstname).
Upload each document separately to the correct attachment section on your application form. It is the applicant’s responsibility to upload the right documents to the correct sections.
OBLIGATORY DOCUMENTS TO BE UPLOADED TO THE APPLICATION FORM (in PDF format)
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate*. Name the file according to format: Degree-certificate-lastname-firstname.
*This document requirement does not apply to applicants with an incomplete degree. If your degree is unfinished at the application phase, leave the upload attachment section for degree certificate blank. The degree must be completed by 31 July 2022.
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
Name the file according to format: Transcript-lastname-firstname.
If your degree certificate and the official transcript of records are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations. The instructions for authorised translations are below (see "Translations"). Name the file according to format: Translation-transcript-lastname.
- If you have, in addition to a Bachelor's degree, another higher education degree you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records. If documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations are required as well. Upload the documents to "Other Higher Education Degree" section of the application form.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship. Upload a copy of the personal information page of the passport only (not all pages). Name the file according to format: Passport-lastname-firstname. Upload the document to the section "Tuition fees, exemptions and scholarships".
- Proof of language proficiency in the language of instruction of the study option. See the accepted language tests, other accepted methods of demonstrating language skills and document instructions at Language requirements in Master's admissions.
- Portfolio (electronic). All study options in the field of art and design, architecture and landscape architecture (except for two study options: 'Game Design and Development' and 'Sound in New Media') require an electronic portfolio in PDF-format by 10 January 2022 at 15.00 (GMT +2). Maximum file size in the application form is 1 GB. Smaller file sizes (under 100 MB) are recommended. Name the file according to format: Portfolio-lastname-firstname. If your portfolio contains password protected video links, include the password(s) in your portfolio. If a portfolio is not uploaded to the online application form by the deadline, the application will be rejected. Check the web page of your study option for instructions on the portfolio, additional instructions cannot be given. If you apply to two study options that require a portfolio, make sure to upload the portfolio for both study options (in the section "Study-option-specific documents" on the application form).
- GMAT or GRE test (business and economics). GMAT or GRE scores for applicants to School of Business study options in admission group 2 and for all applicants to the study option of Finance. See submission instructions: GMAT and GRE test.
- If you are exempted from the tuition fee based on your residence permit, submit copies of both the front and back sides of your residence permit card in Finland. See the residence permit types that exempt from tuition fees at Scholarships and Tuition Fees page. The fee-exempting residence permit must be valid at the beginning of the academic year i.e., 1 August 2022. Name the file according to format: Residence-permit-lastname-firstname.
The study options may require study-option-specific documents, e.g. motivation letter, CV, certificates of employment or references. Any study-option-specific documents are specified on the web page of the study option. Do not submit any extra documents. If your study option does not require for instance references, do not submit them. Extra documents are not taken into account in evaluation and they slow down the processing of your application.
Upload each document separately to your online application form in colour PDF format. Pay attention to upload the documents to the correct section as there are two upload sections: one for your first study option and another for your possible second study option. If you apply only to one study option, do not upload any documents to the second study option field. In addition to the obligatory documents, evaluators can only see the documents uploaded to the section corresponding their study option (first or second), so carefully upload the correct study-option-specific documents for each study option. It is the applicant’s responsibility to upload the right documents to the correct sections.
Name the file(s) according to format: Name of document-lastname-firstname (e.g. CV-lastname-firstname). Maximum file size in the application form is 1 GB. Smaller file sizes (under 100 MB) are recommended.
While failure to submit study-option-specific documents (except portfolio) does not affect the applicant’s general eligibility, it may affect the evaluation done by the study option. Any questions regarding study-option-specific documents should be addressed to the study options. For contact details, see the web page of the study option. However, as a rule, all instructions for the study-option-specific documents are given on the study option website and additional instructions are not given. Interpretation of the given instructions is at the applicants’ discretion.