Topics concerning lecturer's work and onboarding such as: Lecturer track, competence development, research, leadership, university, teaching and learning, financial matters, IT
For a new teacher
On this pageLoading table of contents
First steps for a teacher checklists
How to get to know your way around, onsite or online?
- Activate your Aalto user account (ID).
- For navigating through IT-issues, see frequently asked questions or contact IT Help | Aalto University or HR. Check printing instructions here.
- Get an access token and access rights.
- Get to know your way around with the campus and its facilities, services and many resources.
- Familiarize with the school and the programme you teach in.
- Learn about Harald Herlin Learning Centre, its learning and teaching facilities, library services and other resources.
How to get started with your teaching?
- Familiarize yourself with the common Teaching practices in Aalto University.
- Learn how your teaching facilities are booked, organised and developed at the Learning spaces for teaching page.
- Look up the course information in Sisu, student information system.
- Check that you are marked as a teacher or a responsible teacher in Sisu.
- Check the instructions for essential teacher actions in Sisu and MyCourses digital platforms for student registrations and assessment.
- Familiarize yourself with the MyCourses learning environment. You need to log in with your Aalto.id.
Trainings are available in Workday Learning.
How to get to know Aalto community?
We at Aalto want to make every new community member feel welcome! We aim to be a diverse and inclusive community where all students, faculty, staff and stakeholders feel a sense of belonging and community.
Aalto University way of working is based on Aalto University's values of responsibility, courage and cooperation. The Code of Conduct is one way of putting our values and way of working into practice.
- Aalto Community Hub is a starting point for staff.
- If you have been named an onboarding buddy, meet with the buddy.
- Contact your school's Teacher Services to hear about the communications channels and events, such as Teacher coffees in your school. Your school's events and current news can be found in here.
- Visit Wellbeing Desk in Aalto University, which is a low-threshold service point for all Aalto personnel.
- Join Aalto university Events. Build your network, and get to know your colleagues. Start by asking your colleagues to join you for lunch or a coffee break.
Do you start working as a lecturer or a professor at Aalto University?
Topics concerning professors' work and onboarding such as: Tenure track, competence development, research, leadership, university, teaching and learning, financial matters, IT
Do you wish to know more about Finnish education system?
Read more in detail about Aalto University general regulations on teaching and studying (Into portal):
Please, log in to see all the content.
Here you will find information regarding Aalto University’s organisation, various operators, management processes, operational principles and the guiding rules and policies of our operations.
How did we succeed to deliver essential information?
Our mission is to provide teachers with accessible, current and accurate information. We develop the Teacher’s Handbook based on received feedback, as an ongoing process. We need users' help on this.
Please, take a minute and give us feedback with this simple I like, I wish form.