Storage services for research data
Aalto network drives are recommended file storage space for research data (see link below for further information). The storage has automatic backups and it is suitable for confidential data. The network drives are easy to use with Aalto internal data.
Fairdata IDA could be used for storing large datasets for publishing and for collaborative projects with other Finnish universities and research organizations. IDA is not suitable for confidential data.
Researchers, research groups and projects can use the specific TeamWork file service. Features are adjusted to meet the needs of each group.
The Fairdata services enable verifiable and reproducible science and secure preservation of digital research outputs.
Sharing and collaboration
For daily teamwork with a project group, use Microsoft Teams for best experience in digital collaboration. Teams may be used in groups with external partners too.
To share files with external partners, cloud file sharing services are useful. Aalto IT Services supports Microsoft OneDrive for Business and Google Drive. Using Dropbox with Aalto account is enabled too.
Use Aalto account to get more storage space and advanced features. It's not secure to handle university data with private accounts.
Collaboration with confidential data
Collaboration with confidential data requires paying attention to security. You can work safely with these services when extra security measures are followed:
- Eduuni: access restricted to authorizes people only
- Teams & OneDrive for Business: access restricted to authorized people only, no link sharing allowed
- Funet FileSender: use built-in File encryption option with a strong password. Share password via secure channel (encrypting messaging app, SMS, ...).
OneDrive for Business and Google Drive offer almost unlimited online storage space. These services also offer the possibility to share and modify files, for example directly from the browser.
Microsoft Teams is a convenient collaboration tool for all people of Aalto.
The Eduuni workspace includes Microsoft SharePoint workspaces for use by organisations, networks, projects and teams. Eduuni is used mostly for EU-wide, international research projects, because it enables cooperation also with parties outside of Aalto University. If the information stored is not confidential, it is advisable to use Microsoft Teams for teamwork.
Share large files
Options for storing and publishing data
For more details on the different storage services and data repositories for publishing data, please check the pages linked below:
- Comparison sheet about Data storage, File services
- Overview of data publishing repositories
Confidential data and security
Pay special attention to data handling to prevent disclosure of confidential data. Important considerations include:
- First, classify the information. How sensitive is it?
- Are there legal restrictions, nondisclosure agreement, or external requirements on how to handle the data and what services to use?
- Plan the handling of personal data in the beginning of your research.
- Use only approved IT systems for storage, transfer and sharing of confidential data (see the Quick guide to information classifications).
Below are some links to help you consider the security aspects mentioned above.
Links to research data management instructions
Follow these links to navigate through research data management instructions.
Properly managed research data creates competitive edge and is an important part of a high-quality research process. Here you will find links to support, services and instructions for research data management.
Information of services and considerations to help in research data management during the research work.