Onboarding checklist for supervisors and managers
Before employment starts
- Plan onboarding and orientation for new employee together with your unit HR
- If needed (recommended), name an Onboarding Buddy to new employee
- Inform IT about mailing lists, shared folders & resource mail boxes that the new employee needs to have, make sure computer and work phone will be ordered for new employee
During the first day
- Welcome the new employee or assign a group/team member to do this if you are absent.
- Give introduction of unit and department faculty and staff, and work environment (tour of campus / buildings / departments) (This task can be delegated to a colleague)
- Give occupational safety orientation in a laboratory, workshop or studio
- Arrange a team gathering – breakfast, lunch, afterwork or coffees for the team with the new employee
During the first weeks
- The persons role, main responsibilities, tasks, goals
- Stakeholders (team members & their roles, other colleagues and relevant service personnel)
- Practical induction to tasks “hand-in-hand”
- Occupational safety orientation in a laboratory, workshop or studio if not yet done
- How does the unit work: way of working, decision-making practices, meeting practices & internal communication etc.
- If academic personnel; ensure support in research and teaching related issues
- Career systems of Aalto
During the first 1 – 2 months
- Review key issues and tasks with the new employee in discussions together, plan additional orientation if needed. Are duties and processes clear, what is the new employee's overall impression of the job? (Please ask for feedback on orientation/onboarding process so far)
- Direct new employee to staff training / peda courses / leadership training. What training/courses does the new employee feel that he/she needs, what would be useful for the job?
During the first 6 months
- Probation period review/status check and objective discussion within the first 6 months
- Employee will be asked feedback in Workday, which you will receive