Onboarding checklist for managers
Before employment starts
- Plan onboarding and orientation for new employee together with your unit HR
- If needed (recommended), name an Onboarding Buddy to new employee
- Inform IT about mailing lists, shared folders & resource mail boxes that the new employee needs to have, make sure computer and work phone will be ordered for new employee
During the first day
- Welcome the new employee or assign a group/team member to do this if you are absent.
- Give introduction of unit and department faculty and staff, and work environment (tour of campus / buildings / departments) (This task can be delegated to a colleague)
- Give occupational safety orientation in a laboratory, workshop or studio
- Arrange a team gathering – breakfast, lunch, afterwork or coffees for the team with the new employee
During the first 2 weeks
- The persons role, main responsibilities, tasks, goals, expectations, what success in role looks like
- Stakeholders and how to network with them (team members & their roles, other colleagues and relevant service personnel, buddy)
- Practical induction to tasks “hand-in-hand” and assign small achievable tasks
- Occupational safety orientation in a laboratory, workshop or studio if not yet done
- How does the unit work: way of working, decision-making practices, meeting practices & internal communication, for example Microsoft Teams and Zoom
- Basics in administrational duties on Finance, Travel, Human Resources (HR), Procurement etc depending on employees role.
- If academic personnel; ensure support in research and teaching related issues
- Career systems of Aalto
During months 1 - 2
- Discuss the alignment between their work and their team's, unit's & Aalto's
- Review key issues and tasks with the new employee in discussions together, plan additional orientation if needed. Are duties and processes clear, what is the new employee's overall impression of the job?
- Please ask for and share feedback on their onboarding process so far.
- Direct new employee to staff training / peda courses / leadership training. What training/courses does the new employee feel that he/she needs, what would be useful for the job?
During months 3 - 5
- Discuss their strengths and how they could be used more in their work
- Discuss what further development could increase performance in their role
- Ask about their career aspirations and discuss how Aalto may support them
- Ask about their workload, stress and work-life balance
- Ask how motivated and engaged they are with their work
- Ask for their insights on the team's culture and what their relationships are like with their colleagues
At 6 months
Have a My Dialogue discussion at 6 months My Dialogues | Aalto University
- Set concrete workplan and goals for the upcoming year
- Set individual development plan
- Discuss wellbeing in depth
- Assess their performance and determine if they pass their probation
Back to How to Onboard a New Employee
More related topics
This page contains relevant topics for new researchers' onboarding to Aalto as new workplace. Onboarding and orientation are important when starting new work.
Onboarding and orientation checklist for new employee
Orientation and onboarding info with links to relevant information for new Aalto employees.
The services provide support for research, teaching, and art and creative practices and to faculty and students.
Teams and Zoom are tools for video conferencing, online meetings, chat, and mobile collaboration. Panopto is a software and media service that is designed to capture, edit, stream, and share video presentations and recorded lectures. You can not use Panopto for online meetings.
This page describes other academic positions than tenure track professor and lecturer positions. Here you will also find official policies and procedures for other academic positions as well as instructions on how to appoint a docent.
Staff training is one way to develop expertise, together with on-the-job learning and peer learning. You will find upcoming training events in Workday Learning application.
All onboarding, orientation and induction related pages on guidelines, practices and support at Aalto.
Aalto's guide to one-on-one meetings for academic and service personnel with their supervisors.
Contact details to Human Resources (HR) services for Joint University services as well as for HR units at Schools and Departments.
Human Resource Services support your work and managerial duties at Aalto. We are available to help at every stage of the employment relationship. On this page you can find links to employment related information and contact information of the HR Services.