For hourly-based teachers at the School of Arts, Design and Architecture
Your supervisor has the main responsibility for your orientation. The table underneath shows other parties that you can ask for more guidelines.
Please note that the inside.aalto.fi website is only accessible by Aalto's IT IDs.
Making a contract of employment
This section includes noticeable things before starting to work.
Contact person: Ilona Kallio
- Contract of employment: The contract of employment must be returned to your HR Secretary in good time before the start of work.
- Personal data form: Prerequisite for the conclusion of a contract of employment, payment of wages and the making of Aalto IT IDs and passes; return as soon as possible to the HR Secretary. Please notify any changes to personal data (eg new address): [email protected]
- Tax deduction card: Send to [email protected] (otherwise 60% tax); also pdf / photo suits.
- Keys and admissions:
Activate Väre admissions to your HSL-card using HAKA login (or Aalto login). Notice that sometimes activation of the card can last one day. Please keep your ID-card with you when visiting Väre or other Aalto's spaces.
You will also automatically receive the passcode (white card) required for Otakaari 1. You will receive instructions to your e-mail on how to retrieve the white card.
Pay day: Hourly-based teachers' payday is the last day of the month (notice for your first payday affects when you have made the contract of employment).
Testimonial: If you need a testimonial, please send the request to [email protected]
- HR-secretaries ([email protected])
- Lobby services (Securitas)
- Väre, tel.: 050 383 5446
- Undergraduate Centre (main building, Otakaari 1), tel.: 050 563 7164
- The contract of employment is a prerequisite for Aalto IT User ID: Your Aalto IT User ID will be activated 24 hours after the Payroll Administration has taken your contract of employment to the HR system. Active your account at password.aalto.fi.
- Additional information: [email protected]
- After Aalto IT User ID is created, you can access two important teaching related software: oodi.aalto.fi ja mycourses.aalto.fi
- See also the "Initial preparation of the course" section at the bottom of the page)
- Additional information: the study coordinator of the degree programme/major
- Recommendation is to participate to MyCourses-training, timings in Aalto's training calendar.
- Campus map
- Additional information: Janitors and lobby services.
- Lobby services (Securitas)
- Väre, phone: 050-383 5446
- Undergraduate center (main building, Otakaari 1), phone: 050-5637164
- Services and contact information in the department
- Contact information at people.aalto.fi
- Code of Conduct is a behavioural code that is based on Aalto's values in everyday work, creates a common operating culture and guides, for example, thinking about the right ways of doing things. An online course has been published to support the understanding of behaviour principles, which not only reveals the purpose and contents of the principles but also deepens the lessons learned with the practical case examples. The course is intended for all employees and duration is about 15 minutes.
- Harassment and inappropriate conduct: In Aalto University we do not accept any kind of inappropriate treatment, bullying or sexual harassment.
- Recommendations and guidelines on social media
- Lunch breaks: Lunch breaks are not paid working hours.
- Occupational health care: Terveystalo, industrial health services of Aalto University, Otaniemi: As an hourly-based teacher you are within industrial health services during the duration of your employment contract (Mon-Fri 8 am-8pm). Please examine the link in the headline.
- Absences: Please report the days of illness to both the teacher in charge and the HR secretary ([email protected]). A medical certificate is required for sick leave exceeding three days. Meet any other absences with the teacher in charge.
- Employee benefits at Unisport: As Aalto university's employee, you get the benefits by showing your current employment contract or your last payroll at the UniSport for the first visit.
- Aalto University Shop: As the employee of Aalto, you get a 10% discount on your purchases.
Students have right to get teaching which is based on curriculum, course description and syllabus.
Practical execution of courses and teaching
This section includes the most important points about teaching in the perspective of the hourly-based teacher.
Contact person: Eino Paananen (except 8: Mari Mure)
- Schedules and spaces: Teacher in charge of the course arranges the timings and informs the study coordinator about the space needs during the curriculum design period. The period timing informed in the course description must be respected, the period information and the related changes are approved in the Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture. Changes to the model timetables and weekly schedule can only be made according to the agreed principles, ask for further information from the teacher in charge / director of master programme or person in charge of the major / study coordinator.
- Course budget: Resource plan is made during the curriculum design period, the teacher in charge takes care of this (in cooperation with the controller)
- Course practicalities: Aalto University's websites contain diverse information about course practicalities, for example concerning the course registration, communicating with students, evaluations and course feedback. See more information at the end of this page.
- Syllabus in MyCourses: Ready 3 weeks before the course starts, is the task of the teacher in charge.
Taking care of accepting/rejecting course registrations in WebOodi is the responsibility of the teacher in charge. Information about the accepted students will proceed to MyCourses, so make sure that you have access to MyCourses' pages of your course. Another option is to ask the list of approved participants.
Registration for the exams: Starts 60 days before the exam, ends 7 days before the exam.
To see your course in MyCourses, you need to get rights for the course in Oodi. During the curriculum design period, this is the responsibility of the study coordinator. During the academic year teacher in charge takes care of this.
Studies have shown that learning is most effective when students actively produce and process information. Similarly, the most ineffective learning is the passive reception of knowledge and learning by rote. The recommendation is to make use of pedagogics that activates students, for example, lecture diaries, group work, studies, or tasks which combine theory and practice.
You can utilise the "Get inspired! A guide to successful teaching" to support the design and implementation of the teaching.
Aalto offers pedagogical training, explore opportunities.
- List of participants: Especially on those courses with a limited number of participants or a commitment to participate, it is very important to check who are present. Negotiate with the teacher in charge about the principles of operation if students who are not accepted to the course are trying to participate.
It is recommended that the requirements for attendance and course completion is described as precisely as possible in the course description or syllabus. When the principles are clearly outlined, the teacher can rely on these if he wants the student to prove the absence of a medical certificate or reject the course based on absences. Describing this information is the responsibility of the teacher in charge, and the instructor follows the attendance.
It can be defined in the course description if the courses have an 80% attendance requirement, for example, or if a breach of attendance leads directly to the rejection of the course. You can describe in the course description or syllabus when the student is considered to have left the course and the performance has been rejected.
If the presence requirement or percentage is not defined, the amount of student attendance should not affect the pass or grade. The course grade is determined by how the student has achieved the set learning outcomes.
In principle, the teacher is not obliged to carry out additional tasks to compensate for absences. Students will find out the tasks they have done on the course during their absence (for example, from MyCourses or classmates). In the case of long sick leave, the teacher may ask for a medical certificate (if the attendance is compulsory). If the student's absence from sick leave is prolonged, the teacher must be consulted.
- Communication for students during the course: Official communication takes place only through Aalto channels. During the course,use primarily MyCourses (instructions) for the communication. Use your Aalto email address when you work in Aalto. Teachers of the course should describe all the relevant information for the students to MyCourses, for example the deadlines of the most important course tasks and timetables of intercritics and excursions. Negotiate with the teacher in charge of the use of MyCourses and communications responsibilities.
- Data protection and copyright: Please read these instructions behind the link.
- Student support: Contact the major's or programme's coordinator if you are concerned about the student's well-being or need for special support.
- Become acquainted with: Starting Point of Wellbeing
- Changes to a currently valid curriculum: There should not occur any changes after the course has started. If you have need for small adjustments, agree about those with the teacher in charge. Teacher in charge will contact the study coordinator.
- Technical support during the teaching (IT-equipments): Contact Väre's IT-support. Väre's IT service desk locates in room R101 (Mon-Fri 12-15).
- Practical issues: storage of goods (temporarily), lending office, use of workshops, printing: the teacher in charge helps with these.
- Informing grades: Teachers in charge takes care of grades and send the study attainments for Oodi-registration: [email protected] All required information must be entered when registering study attainments. Give individual components of a course to the teacher in charge. (Study attainments must be stored for 6 months.) Grades must be submitted within 4 weeks after the end of the course and must be registered promptly.
- Additional information about the registration of study attainments from the study coordinator.
- Course feedback: Teachers of the course will get automatically the course feedback. Course feedback system works according to the course's ending date information in Oodi. The teacher in charge is able to edit the ending date if needed. Reserve 15 minutes for the last lesson for students to respond to the course feedback questionnaire - that ensures a good response rate.
- Additional information:
- Editing Oodi settings: The teacher in charge or the study coordinator.
- Course feedback system support: [email protected].
- Additional information:
- The possibility of retaking the exam / complete course assignment (section 28)
Courses should have two possibilities for retaking the exam or inform two days when students can return completed course assignments. After this, students can be directed to complete the next course. You should also be aware of the instructions on the validity of the individual components of the course.
Do you need more information about teaching?
You have several options to learn more about teaching at Aalto ARTS:
- Welcome to Aalto ARTS' Learning services -orientation
- Independently studying the Aalto website, below is the link, which leads you to the most important information
- Test your skills through the Aalto ARTS Learning services quiz