100 years at the forefront
1911 School of Economics was established.
1922 First MSc graduate (Aksel Edvard Hollander 10.3.1922).
1937 First Doctor’s degree in Nordic Business Schools (Vilho Nurmilahti 9.10.1937).
1946 First conferment of academic degrees.
1950 New Main Building inaugurated.
1970 Chydenia building inaugurated for the School.
1970 Beginning of JOKO, Continuing Education Programme for Executives.
1972 Beginning of a formal Doctoral Programme.
1974 School of Economics became state university, financial responsibility to state of Finland.
1983 International MBA Programme launched.
1989 International BBA Programme introduced in Mikkeli.
1994 English Track leading to MSc Degree in English language introduced.
1997 AMBA accreditation received for the International MBA Programme.
1998 EQUIS accreditation received.
1998 School became member of CEMS.
1999 Arkadia building becomes part of the school's facilities. Helecon center begins its operations on Leppäsuonkatu.
2000 Helsinki School of Economics Executive Education Pte Ltd started in Singapore and the Partnership Programme started.
2001 School became full member of PIM and the BscBA degree programme started in Mikkeli.
2007 AACSB accreditation was first received for 5 years. School became the first Nordic business school to receive the prestigious “Triple Crown” accreditation by EQUIS, AMBA, and AACSB.
2010 The Helsinki School of Economics became part of Aalto University as of 1 January 2010 and started operating with the name of Aalto University School of Economics.
2011 School of Economics 100 years anniversary.
2012 School of Economics was renamed the Aalto University School of Business as of 1 August 2012
2015 Bachelor level teaching at the School of Business moved to Otaniemi in the beginning of the autumn semester of 2015. U wing at Otakaari 1 was renoved to fit the needs of the students and faculty.
2019 School of Business moved from Töölö campus to the Aalto University's main campus in Otaniemi. The building on Runeberginkatu (Töölö) will be renovated in stages, and the project is due to be completed by the end of 2020, when Aalto University Executive Education (Aalto EE) will move there.
Read more about the history of Aalto University and School of Business
Eero Kasanen 2010
Jyrki Wallenius 2011
Ingmar Björkman 2012–19
Timo Korkeamäki 2020–
Rectors throughout the times
Kyösti Järvinen 1911–1919
Wäinö Bonsdorff 1919–39
Kalle Kauppi 1939–45
O.W. Louhivuori 1945–52
Kaarlo Hilden 1952–57
Kalle Kauppi 1957–61
Henrik Virkkunen 1961–63
Pekka Heinänen 1963–69
Jaakko Honko 1969–80
Veikko Leiwo 1980–81
Arvi Leponiemi 1981–90
Fedi Vaivio 1990–92
Veikko Jääskeläinen 1992–96
Eero O. Kasanen 1996–2009
Chancellors throughout the times
Antti Tulenheimo 1950–52
O.W. Louhivuori 1952–53
Bruno Suviranta 1953–67
Klaus Waris 1967–80
Jaakko Honko 1980–89
Jaakko Lassila 1989–92
Fedi Vaivio 1992–95
Aatto Prihti 1995–2004
Matti Lehti 2005–2009
School of Business (Kauppis) memories by faculty and staff members
Many thanks to supporters of the School of BusinessDonations help build a strong future for the School of Business
A warm thank you to all our Kauppis 110 donors!‘It is rewarding to work in an institution with such strong and extensive support of its community,’ says Dean Timo Korkeamäki.
Business and economics alumni association donates to the School of BusinessThe donators want to support the internationalization of the School of Business' students and to help them create international networks.
Our Kauppis Memory: Reunions are always happy and often emotional‘Mikkeli Spirit glues the whole group together.’
School of Business 110 years
The School of Business (today Aalto University School of Business) was founded in 1911, so in 2021 it celebrates its 110th anniversary.