Studies not leading to a degree on Sisu
Sisu and Aalto user ID
To use Sisu you need to log in with your Aalto user ID:
Sisu student information system
Every student and employee at Aalto University is provided with an Aalto University user ID (user account). With the user ID, you can log in to Aalto’s information systems and use the internal services of the university.
Studies not leading to a degree
Examples of studies not leading to a degree:
- exchange studies (incoming students)
- individual courses as non-degree studies
- studies under the flexible study right agreement (JOO)
- studies under other agreements and through inter-university cooperation networks
Open University students do not need to create a study plan. They are registered for their courses automatically.
HOPS for studies not leading to a degree
Your studies are based on your personal study plan. You also need a study plan to register for courses. For these reasons, create a study plan in accordance with your right to study.
If you are pursuing studies that do not lead to a degree, your right to study may be limited, permitting you to take certain courses only.
Selecting courses in your study plan
- If your right to study is strictly limited to certain courses only, select them one by one using the search function in the selection assistant on the right-hand side. You are not permitted to select or take other courses (e.g. individual courses as non-degree studies).
- If your right to study is limited to a certain study module, select courses according to the instructions given in the selection assistant on the right-hand side. Incoming exchange students should choose courses according to the instructions given by their own Aalto exchange coordinator.
Creating a personal study plan
- Sign in to Sisu and make sure your user role is ‘student’. Go to the ‘Structure of studies’ page.
- Open the ‘My educations’ tab and select the studies for which you want to create a study plan.
- If you only have one right to study, Sisu automatically selects it. If you have several rights to study (for example for different fields), create a study plan for each of them. You may give your study plan descriptive names if you want to.
- In most cases, you should select the ongoing academic or Aalto’s ongoing two-year curriculum period as the curriculum period of your study plan on Sisu.
- After you have created a study plan, go to it and click on the title of a study module.
- Using the selection assistant on the right-hand side, add the courses you have the right to study to your study plan.
- Enter the course code to the ‘Search courses by name or code’ field. Add the course to your study plan.
- Note: You are not permitted to add or take courses other than those covered by your right to study. If you are pursuing studies not leading to a degree, do not use study drafts or the free edit mode on Sisu.
Note: You can only register for courses through a study plan that corresponds to your right to study.
- Your study plan may display the following notification: ‘You do not have a study right that corresponds to your study plan or you have not registered for the current term.’ If this happens, you need to make sure that the study plan template corresponds to your study right.
- As exchange student, choose the study right Exchange studies (*) where asterisk is the abreviation of the responsible school of Aalto.
- Apart from this, please follow the instructions on this page.
Registration for courses
Having created a study plan, you can now register for the courses for which you have a study right. You must set the study plan in question as your primary study plan to be able to register for courses.