News: publish on aalto.fi
Click on "Content" in the upper left-hand corner and select from the drop-down menu "Add content" and "News". Then, select the publicity for your piece of news. Is it public for everyone or only meant for the Aalto community?
- Language: choose the original language (editing language) for the news article (English / Finnish / Swedish)
- Title: Give a headline for the news article. Start with the most important keywords and summarize the content, since many of the links are shared nowadays online without reading the actual writing.
- Summary*: Write a short introduction about the news article (this will be shown when the news article is lifted up somewhere across the aalto.fi site, but will not appear on your page). Avoid jargon and difficult terminology.
- Lead text*: The lead text should complement the headline – tell the most important points in the beginning. Avoid jargon and difficult terminology. A good lead text makes the reader want to know more and keep reading. Don't copy the exact same text as in the summary field to the lead text. This will have a negative impact on search engine optimisation and thus to the findability of your content.
- Main image: add an appealing main image for the news article (don't use a picture that includes text e.g. infographic as a main image). Choose a picture that supports the news article content. File size of 1 MB is sufficient, as the image quality (in pixels) is what counts. Always use horizontal images as the main image.
How to get the best possible reach to your news article?
- By using “Relates to” you will make sure your news article appears in the right places across aalto.fi. This is the most important field to use when publishing news articles. Without selecting the correct hubs and/or research groups, your news article will not get the best possible reach throughout the aalto.fi communications platform.
- Select either a hub and/or a research group page, where you think the news article should be shown. You can choose as many you like, but remember to think about the site visitors – who are they, are they interested in this topic?
The following fields help to categorise news articles for a better reach:
- Categories enable end users filtering the news articles. Think of them as primary tags.
- Primary tag is a top level tag, a key word to describe the news article's content.
- Choose the ones that best describe your content, the recommended number is 1-3.
- Primary tags are a relatively short list of key themes in Aalto. Governance of primary tags is done by Communications.
- Secondary tags are for more detailed tags, keywors to describe the news article.
- Choose the ones that best describe your content. Recommendation is 2-3 tags.
- We have more than 1000 secondary tags in Drupal.
- The library of secondary tags is governed by Communications for now. If you have suggestions for relevant secondary tags, contact [email protected].
- You can use various components for creating news articles (more information below).
- Choose "Text paragraph" component to write the actual news article.
- Please remember to use “Horizontal Divider between body text (text paragraph) and boilerplate especially in press releases. Take a look at this news article example.
Enter a date. The time part is optional. The default time is 00:00:00. Leave the date blank if you do not want to schedule.
Finally, remember to save your news by clicking on "Save". To publish your news article, click "Publish" on the far right-hand side.
Don't forget to create translation(s) of your news article to better reach your audience!