Master's Programme in Security and Cloud Computing (SECCLO)
Programme main page
The student must contact both Aalto University exit university professors or contact persons for discussing the thesis procedure and the topic. Please start first with your exit year university.
- Aalto: Professor Tuomas Aura
- DTU: Professor Flemming Stassen, Joint Programmes Coordinator Andreas Bruun
- EURECOM: Professor Davide Balzarotti, International Relations Manager Stephanie Marmion
- KTH: Professor Markus Hidell, Master’s Programme Coordinator Mia Boberg Winlöf
- NTNU: Professor Danilo Gligoroski or Professor Colin Boyd, Senior Executive Officer Marie Sofie Sortvik Barosen
- UT: Professor Sedat Akleylek, Academic Affairs Specialist Paula Luks
- The topic must be agreed between the student and with supervising professors from both Aalto University and exit university. As a general rule, a professor from the exit university is the main supervisor, but upon agreement, also a professor of Aalto University may take this role.
- The thesis will be jointly supervised and evaluated by Aalto University and exit university according to local procedures and regulations followed by the respective institutions.
- The final thesis must be approved by Aalto University and exit university prior issuing double degree.
- The student must find out the local rules of two partner universities concerning the thesis procedure and respect the deadlines given by both Aalto University and exit university and in addition, keep the coordinator informed about the procedure.
- The thesis can be written in industry (for ex. in a company), if both Aalto University and exit universities agree.
- The student has the responsibility to make sure that all parties are aware of the given deadlines and to communicate regularly with the supervisors. Please share with your supervisors the Recommendations for supervisors of SECCLO thesis 2022-2023.pdf.
- Please note that according to Finnish legislation, a master's thesis is a public document and its contents cannot be confidential.
Please follow Aalto School of Science and your exit university schedules and deadlines in the thesis process. When starting the thesis, it is recommended that you read the evaluation criteria for the Master's thesis of the Aalto University School of Science available in MyCourses. You can find more information about the thesis from the MyCourses space of the School of Science.
- Student must apply for thesis topic approval with this form at the beginning of the thesis process: Thesis topic application form - fill in, sign, ask signatures from both supervisors (exit university and Aalto) and then send to planning officer Emma Tuomola, deadline 19.2.2024 (submission in eAge not required.)
- Please submit the topic form as soon as you have both signatures.
- The final title of the thesis can be changed as long as the topic remains the same.
- The thesis can have one or two advisors, also the supervisor can act as an advisor. The advisor needs to have at least a Master’s degree.
- If you are confused, who should sign the form at the exit university, please be in contact with the study coordinator/planning officer.
- Possible thesis topics can be found from the links below.
Secure Systems Group available research topics for students - Autumn 2023 - Summer 2024
The thesis presentation is a compulsory part of the Master's thesis. The last possible time to have your thesis presentation is the School of Science deadline for submitting the application for thesis evaluation. See deadlines here.
The presentation will be around 20 minutes followed by a short Q&A with the public. Your supervisor from Aalto approves your presentation. Joint thesis presentation days will be online, on June 2024 for all SECCLO students.
Please include in the beginning of your presentation details of your thesis. For the details that should be visible, please see these slides: SECCLO thesis presentation. Please use the SECCLO template.
- The thesis is submitted at the same time to both universities. Send exactly the same version of your thesis to your supervisors (Aalto and exit) for evaluation (by email or how you have agreed with supervisors)
- At Aalto, the thesis is submitted in the eAge-system. Please see instructions here (log-in to see all information).
- You can use the Aalto thesis LaTeX template. There is also a Word template, but ask both supervisors before using Word. Please check that your thesis first page and abstract are done following the template model. If the exit university has different formatting requirements or their own LaTeX template, use them. Then, typeset only the title and abstract pages with the Aalto template and replace those pages in the PDF file for the Aalto submission. The rest of the pages should be the same for the two universities. Fill in these details*
- Add the Erasmus Mundus logo in the acknowledgements page.
- The abstract page of your thesis is the press release/maturity essay (in your Sisu study plan SCI.matr). It will be registered as completed with grade pass once your supervisor has given their statement of your Master's thesis. It will then appear on your Sisu study plan as completed.
- programme name: Master's Programme in Security and Cloud Computing
- correct the year
- copyright: your name and the year you submit the thesis
- programme: Master's Programme in Security and Cloud Computing
- major: Security and Cloud Computing
- (if you use a template, where the programme code is asked, it is SCI3113)
- supervisor: Professor xx (Aalto University), Professor xx (your exit university)
- Write the abstract in English. (If your basic education has been in Finnish or in Swedish (=koulusivistyskieli), you will need to write it also in one of these languages. Students educated in languages other than Finnish or Swedish need to write the abstract only in English.)
If you have completed all the required studies and will submit your Master's thesis for evaluation, you will need to submit also a request for graduation by the thesis submission deadline. Please see more information here.