Learning Services – enabling success
What is Leap for Learning?
Leap for Learning combines three major Learning Services (LES) projects: the deployment and development of Sisu, the learning and study information system; LES process harmonisation and development; and the introduction of the Salesforce service platform to support the improved processes and digitalisation.
Leap seeks solutions for enriching the user and service experiences of students and staff. It also aims to satisfy the needs of new user groups (such as continuous learners) and to make greater optimisation of data and analytics in our work. Leap has a joint steering group and a change organisation to support its work.
What have we achieved so far?
Sisu came online in August 2021 and its development roadmap currently extends to the year 2024.
The LES process development began in 2018 with the identification of processes and the adoption of the digital ‘OPI reference architecture’ as a basis for the work. LES has identified process owners for the different process areas as well as a model and ways to support the progress monitoring of the development work.
Salesforce has several LES projects up and running. It will eventually replace many of the older systems at LES and elsewhere at Aalto. The service platform is an important part of Aalto’s digital roadmap.
In 2021, Salesforce was onboarded in the main admissions process for master’s level students and in the processing of advance assignments for bachelor’s admissions in the School of Arts, Design and Architecture. In 2022, Aalto used the platform to launch MyStudies, with features for academic advising and the reinstatement of study rights, as well as an ‘annual clock’ planning timeline for programme directors. As of autumn 2022, the platform is being equipped with features for the digitalisation of thesis processes and for admissions at the doctoral programme level. Aalto’s course catalogue (courses.aalto.fi) has also been built into the platform.
Benefits for students and lifelong learners
- Personal Aalto services in one place for full engagement in Aalto community
- Services available anywhere, anytime
- Visibility to Aalto course offering to ensure relevant skills for future work life
- Graduation according to the learner’s personal schedules and goals
- Support for lifelong learning, multidisciplinary studies and mobility
Benefits for faculty
- Scalable services to support increasing number of students and lifelong learners
- Essential and real-time student information available for analysis and decision making
- Information systems support the planning and organising of teaching
- Better service support from Aalto personnel through more efficient, unified processes
Benefits for service personnel
- Enable scalable support services for increasing numbers of students and lifelong learners
- Information systems support daily work, which also means less manual work
- Opportunities to provide more personalized support to students and faculty
Many teaching and learning services and workflows will be renewed over the coming year. Related projects have been brought together under the heading of Leap for Learning.