President Ilkka Niemelä confirmed the Aalto University Accessibility Implementation Plan for 2022–2024 on 1st February, 2022. The plan is based on the Aalto University strategy and supports well-being work and the work of the Aalto University Equality Committee. The implementation plan is attached as an appendix to the Aalto University Equality Plan. This page is for monitoring the implementation.
Let´s go equal!
This page provides a collection of methods and ways to increase collaboration and communication to support each other in learning accessible practices for daily work.
Aalto University strives towards being an accessible, safe and healthy university where research, teaching and services are accessible for all. Recognising and correcting barriers is an on-going process requiring everyone’s input. In accordance with the implementation plan for accessibility the accessibility work of the university is handled in a decentralised manner as follows:
- At university level, we provide the basic services set forth in the university strategy and give advice to six schools, which decide the services of their units independently.
- In addition, we also safeguard possibilities for creative work and interaction and for the development of university activities.
- Safe, healthy and accessible operation environments are designed, renovated and constructed on the Otaniemi campus to serve the entire Aalto community.
- The six schools develop and support the accessible operating culture as defined in the strategy by following up on the progress of its implementation.
- At the levels of departments, degree programmes and units, equal opportunities to participate in studying, research and teaching are ensured.
- Accessibility is developed proactively rather than reactively only after problems have arisen in the process.
- Each member of the community has the right to report any barriers identified and suggest a change in the operating culture.
- Equality is promoted continuously in all operations
- Open discussion strengthens positive attitudes and enhances expertise, which helps us solve everyday challenges.
- We follow the principles of sustainable development, meaning that accessibility is in line with research knowledge and with the tacit knowledge of the community and also justifiable in the different assessments of our operations.
Training, advice and studying on accessible operations all efficiently has been decentralised to different units. Please contact the Learning Services of your school if you would like to receive additional information or to participate in the accessibility work in practice. Both LES and ITS service desks of each school will guide, instruct and advise in accessibility matters in more detail.
Accessibility regulations deadlines for websites and videos
New university websites
- New university websites created on or after 23 September 2018, must meet accessibility standards and must publish an accessibility statement by 23 September 2019.
- Review and update your statement regularly.
Existing websites and videos
- Most existing websites that were published before 23 September 2018 need to comply with the accessibility regulations by 23rd September 2020.
- Note, that intranets and extranets need to comply from when there are significant changes to them.
- Pre-recorded video or audio content published on or after the 23rd of September 2020 must be accessible.
There's no place for racism in the scientific community says the management of Aalto University in its statement. As a university, Aalto is working hard to develop an open and diverse community.
Equality, diversity, inclusion and code of conduct
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive community where all students, faculty, staff and stakeholders feel a sense of belonging and can fulfill their professional, educational and social aspirations fully.
Maria Clavert, Professor of Practice in Technology Education, encourages young people who want to change the world to study technology, as it can enable real change.
Katja Toropainen, the founder of Inklusiiv and graduate student of the School, also makes a call for more discussion and sharing of best practices about diversity in organizations.
Practical tips for fostering diversity and inclusion.
The Code of Conduct is one way of putting our values and way of working - the foundation of our community culture - into practice.
The Accessible Aalto makes it possible for people of all abilities to be a part of our community every day. Aalto goes Accessible also in events and parties!
Accessible Aalto Network (AccaNet)
Accessible Aalto Network (AccANet) is for collaboration and knowledge building to improve our main processes and quality at Aalto University. AFYE welcomes the new students.
Accessible Aalto Network (AccANet) is for collaboration and knowledge building to improve our main processes and quality at Aalto University. AccANet members are volunteers who have agreed with their directors to promote accessibility in schools and units. Network members serve as human nodes for different kinds of accessibility issues met in our daily activities. In addition, AccaNet updates the tri-annual Aalto University implementation plan for accessibility with the help of their peers.
Each Aalto student has a right to reasonable individual study arrangements due to an impairment restricting his/her ability to study or other health condition.
Servicemap helps to find the destination
All the services in the metropolitan area within your reach in English, Swedish and Finnish.
All the services in the metropolitan area within your reach. Search for services, units or addresses, including Aalto University premises at Otaniemi
Accessibility of the services and premises of the Learning Centre.
Here you will also find restaurants, the Aalto Space mobile app, access control - all practical information on one page! You can also visit the campus virtually.
Further information about accessibility
Aaltodoc publication archive consists of full text materials produced in the university, such as theses, journal articles, conference publications and research materials produced by the schools of Aalto University. Search e.g. by 'accessibility', 'diversity' or 'inclusion'.
The proposal to increase student mobility (In Finnish). Professori, presidentti Tuula Teeri Ruotsin Kuninkaallisesta Teknisten Tieteiden Akatemiasta on tehnyt opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriön toimeksiannosta esityksen toimista, joilla oppilaiden ja opiskelijoiden liikkuvuutta lisätään myös korkeakoulutuksessa. Opiskelijaliikkuvuuden lisääminen edellyttää kansallista koordinaatiota hyvien käytäntöjen jakamiseksi ja kansainvälistymisen tukipalvelujen ja rahoituksen vahvistamista.
Kela, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, is a government agency that provides basic economic security for everyone living in Finland.
Equality.fi is a data base maintained by the Ministry of Justice and it contains information and tools for persons and organisations interested in promotion of equality and non-discrimination.
The Culture for All Service promotes cultural services that are inclusive and take diverse audiences and art professionals into account. We offer information and tools for workers in the cultural field to improve accessibility and knowledge of diversity.
Inklusiiv is a non-profit with a mission to advance diversity and inclusion in working life.
In autumn 2020, Aalto University School of Science is launching a new series of university-wide colloquia called “Making Waves” covering topics of diversity and inclusiveness in our community.
Promoting international teaching and studying is a central element in Aalto University strategy. Internationalisation of education is about integrating global dimension in the curricula and in the teaching/learning processes.
Promoting international teaching and studying is a central element in Aalto University strategy. Through Erasmus you can go on student or teacher exchange. It also enables staff mobility for training and for teaching.
Understood through all its dimensions - ecological, social, economic and cultural - we are committed to carrying out our activities in a sustainable manner.
At Aalto, we create solutions that enable well-being within the planetary boundaries. With us, you get the opportunity to learn, research and do meaningful things in a unique environment: we combine the expertise in science, art, technology and economy to develop creative solutions to the world’s major challenges, such as the climate crisis. We are a community of thousands of students, researchers and experts with passion and expertise for both system-level solutions and the rapidly implemented new innovations.