Tenure track for professors
Our tenure track system is comparable with the standards of other world-class universities. It is based on the principle of commitment from university and individual to academic career: it has clearly defined expectations, incentives, and assistance in personal development.
- Clear and transparent rules and processes – Clear and transparent criteria and processes for recruitment, evaluation, and promotion.
- Compensation of success – Adequate salary and compensation to motivate people to work towards Aalto’s vision and objectives.
- Equal opportunity to succeed – Motivation and cooperation increase as people in tenure track compete only with themselves, not against one another.
Since the tenure track system was introduced in 2010, almost 300 professors have been recruited by the end of the year 2017 and over 30% of our tenure track professors have an international background.
Tenure track consists of three levels: Assistant Professor (1st term and 2nd term), Associate Professor and Full Professor. Candidates can be recruited for any of these levels in accordance with each job announcement. Our recruiting is based on open international competition, and we primarily focus on scientific and/or artistic potential and merits when making selections.
Tenure track promotion proceeds according to intermediate reviews based on merits. This means that our professors are only competing with themselves, not with their colleagues. Performance is evaluated through three dimensions: research and/or artistic and professional work, teaching and service. The evaluation criteria are based on the principles of predictability, transparency, and comparability with international standards. More details about the criteria are available in the Evaluation criteria.
Professor’s work profile
A professor’s work consists of research or artistic and professional work, teaching, activity in the scientific or artistic community as well as participation in societal interaction and international collaboration in the field. The work profile of each tenure track professor is agreed on with his/her immediate supervisor in the annual objective discussions.
Introducing tenure track professors
- Associate Professor Sven Bossuyt (youtube.com)
- Assistant Professor Myrto Chliova (youtube.com)
- Minna Suoniemi, Lecturer of Media Pedagogy, Visual Artist (youtube.com)
- Kai Saksela, Doctoral Candidate, Entrepreneur (youtube.com)
- Assistant Professor Ville Pulkki (youtube.com)
- Professor of Practice Nora Sternfeld (youtube.com)
- Professor Philip Tuomisto (youtube.com)
- Associate Professor Monika Österberg (youtube.com)