Organisation and leadership
School of Engineering
The executive bodies of the school are the dean and the Academic Committee for Engineering. The school has three vice deans.
The school's academic decision-making system includes the doctoral programme committee, the director of the doctoral programme, degree programme committees and directors of degree programmes.
Other permanent or temporary groups may also be involved in the school's governance. These include the management teams of the school and its departments, the school's tenure track committee and the resource and investment working group.
The school's governance is organised so that different personnel groups and students have sufficient opportunities to participate in the preparation of decisions.
- The dean of the School of Engineering is Kari Tammi. Tammi's five-year term began on 1 July 2023.
- Jani Romanoff serves as the vice dean for education. The term of the appointment is 1 August 2021–31 July 2024.
- Seppo Junnila serves as the vice dean for research. The term of the appointment is 1 September 2021–31 August 2024.
- Antti Peltokorpi serves as the vice dean for impact. The term of the appointment is 1 August 2023–31 July 2028.
The basic unit for the school's academic operations is the department, which conducts academic research and offers degree education connected to its research. Teaching is organised as educational programmes.
Each one of the school's three departments is led by a head of department. Heads of departments are appointed by the dean.
- Department of Built Environment (BE)
- Head of Department Raine Mäntysalo, term of appointment 1 January 2022–31 December 2023
- Department of Civil Engineering (CE)
- Head of Department Leena Korkiala-Tanttu, term of appointment 1 January 2022–31 December 2023
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Head of Department Pedro Vilaça, term of appointment 1 January 2022–31 December 2023
Research groups are the units formed to facilitate research collaboration between multiple fields of study. You can find more information about research groups at the School of Engineering by visiting the departments' pages, linked above.
Learn more about the governance system of the School of Engineering.