Support for challenges during your doctoral studies
Challenges with your doctoral studies?
- Whatever challenge you have, the primary contact is your supervising professor (=vastuuprofessori, ansvarsprofessor). You can always also discuss with your thesis advisor (väitöskirjan ohjaaja, handledare). If they cannot be of help, you can always contact the Doctoral education services of your programme and discuss how to proceed.
- If you want to discuss your career and life planning, and if you want to reflect what is enjoyable and challenging for you, you can apply for career coaching or meet with career counselling psychologist.
- If you have wellbeing challenges as a doctoral student, check first study psychologist services. You can also contact the health care center of the community in which you live.
- If you need a second opinion of something related to supervision, you can ask for “second opinion” from our ombudspersons. Check Ombudsperson for doctoral students | Aalto University
- If the problem is severe and the code of conduct was not followed, the matter will be take up by the manager of learning services of your school, and if the problem relates to employment, the HR manager of your school. In some cases it might be necessary to involve them both. More information
- In some cases you might benefit from Aalto's workplace mediators to help in the situation, please check Workplace Mediation for enhancing the cooperation in teams and solving conflicts | Aalto University.
- Solution-focused coaching for Aalto employees: a practical way of creating a positive change related to e.g. wellbeing at work, motivation or self-leadership, with the support of a coach: Solution-focused coaching to support your wellbeing at work | Aalto University This is available also for doctoral students even if they are not employees.
Preventing harassment and inappropriate conduct
Aalto University expects its employees and students as well as any other members of the community to act responsibly and treat each other with respect. Any harassment, inappropriate treatment or bullying is prohibited. All members of the community have a responsibility for the atmosphere and well-being of their workplace and studying community.
Support in cases of harassment for students
The Code of Conduct is one way of putting our values and way of working - the foundation of our community culture - into practice.
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive community where all students, faculty, staff and stakeholders feel a sense of belonging and can fulfill their professional, educational and social aspirations fully.
Ombudspersons for doctoral students
Confidential contact persons for doctoral students wishing to discuss with a professor with experience in academic practices
Support for wellbeing
Often doctoral students encounter some kind of challenging situations during their studies. At Aalto University we want to offer support to solve these problems and issues.