Working at Aalto
Self-development at Aalto
Aalto’s core competency areas
Aalto University has identified five core competency areas crucial to Aalto’s success and the success of our people:
- “Working Together” – relates to living by our values, relating and networking, and working with people, and is our core competency related to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- “Insightful Expertise” – builds competence to better apply and share expertise, and be as data-driven as possible in our work.
- “Learning Agility & Creativity” – aligns with one of Aalto’s cross-cutting themes to build a radically creative community, supported by building competency around embracing change and learning agility.
- “Achieving Excellence” – taking initiative and accountability, how to aim high and achieve, and the competency of influencing.
- “Empowering leadership” – ensuring our leaders empower their people and lead with accountability.
My Dialogues – the Aalto process for self-development
“My Dialogues” is Aalto’s name for our semi-regular discussions between supervisors and their team members about goals, development and wellbeing. It is a key process for ensuring self-development is discussed and actioned.
In addition to My Dialogues, we train our supervisors to increase good leadership and management skills. Employees are our biggest assets, and we want our community to flourish.
Aalto University's campus in Otaniemi is the home of an innovative community. Explore the campus virtually at virtualtour.aalto.fi.