Quick guide for studying at the Open University
Read here how your studies at the Open University will advance from choosing your course to receiving your final grade.
- Find out information about the available courses. Read the course descriptions carefully before registration. Take notice if the content and timetable are suitable for you, and how much your attendance at lectures is needed. Some courses also require preliminary knowledge or studies. Check also the possibility to compile minor studies.
- Use the Aimo service to register for Open University courses. At first register as user, then you will get an Aimo username that you will need to register for courses and related exams. Selection criteria for courses is the order of registration. Course registration is always binding, and it is not possible to transfer the course fee onto another course.
- After course registration you can activate an Aalto user ID. You will need it to log in to the MyCourses learning environment and to the Sisu student information system, where you can find your personal student number and check your results.
- Actual studies begin with the first lecture and/or with the instructions the teacher gives for the course. Separate invitations will not be sent. You will find information on timetables, teaching locations and teaching methods in the course description. If your course includes teaching or exams on campus, read about the Aalto campus and activate your campus access token. Some courses might include preliminary assignments or an exam, for which information will be available in the course description. Aalto University Learning Centre is the place you can ask for coursebooks and literature.
- If the course has exams, you don’t have to register for the first exam, but for the retakes registration takes place in the Aimo service with your Aimo username and password. The payment of an independent book exam covers only one exam.
- Results of exams and passed courses are recorded in the student information system Sisu. In Sisu you can yourself download an official, electronic transcript of records as certification for your studies. Please note that you need a valid Aalto user ID to log in to Sisu, and for that reason we recommend that you download your transcript straight after the grades have been registered. Open University Office is not able to download official pdf-transcripts for their students, only transcripts in paper form that will be delivered by post. Please check your results four weeks after the course/exam, in case there is something to remark.