Location page: how to create it?
Creation of a location page on aalto.fi
Basic information: Click on "Content" in the upper left-hand corner and select from the drop-down menu "Add content" and "Location":
- Language: choose the primary language (editing language) for the location article (English / Finnish / Swedish)
- Name: Name of the location/building
- Summary: Write a short introduction about the location (this will be shown when the event is lifted up somewhere across the aalto.fi site). The location description opens up the location a bit more, e.g. where the building is located or is there something special about the location.
- Main image: add an appealing main image for the location (don't use a picture that includes text e.g. infographic as a main image). Choose a picture that supports the location – a picture that looks appealing when the location page is shared online or lifted up somewhere across the aalto.fi site.
Set street address. Here's how you get the "Map URL" for the embedded map:
- Go to: https://www.openstreetmap.org
- Look in the upper left-hand corner for the "Search" field and fill in the actual address, e.g. Otakaari – click on "Go" (after a couple of seconds you will see the map)
- Click on the "Share" icon on the right side of the map (see the example picture below)
- Check the box "Include marker" (see the example picture below)
- Click on the minus sign (–) twice in the upper right-hand corner – above the map, so that the map picture looks good to you
- Click on the "HTML" button (see the example picture below)
- If you wish, you can still fine-tune the map positioning by changing the spot of the map marker, just drag & drop
- After these steps: copy the code (see the example picture below)
- Find the link from the code – bolded below e.g.
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://www.openstreetmap.org/export/embed.html?bbox=24.80918884277344%2C60.178361467837256%2C24.845237731933597%2C60.1942146506868&layer=mapnik&marker=60.18629701739027%2C24.827202558517456" style="border: 1px solid black"></iframe><br/><small><a href="https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=60.1863&mlon=24.8272#map=15/60.1863/24.8272">View Larger Map</a></small>
- Go to the location page (aalto.fi) and click on the "Edit" tab.
- Add the code to the field "Map URL".