Links: How to create and highlight?
Adding a new link
You can create links to both internal pages within aalto.fi and to external websites. Follow these instructions to create functioning links.
- Go to your text component in Drupal
- Highlight the text that should be linked
- Click the link symbol, see image to the right, and aalto.fi opens a new window where you can enter your link address as described further down
- If you're linking within aalto.fi-website, do NOT tick the box “Open in new window/tab”. If your link leads to an external site, you may tick the box. You can find more information in the WCAG guidance on opening links in new windows/tabs.
- Save and check that the link is working on the page by clicking it.
Always enter the whole URL address for external links, e.g. https://www.aka.fi/en/, not just aka.fi/en. A trick is to go to the actual page with the browser and then copying the URL straight from there, as shown below.
For internal links at aalto.fi, you can also put the node number, such as /node/14651/. You can see the node number by clicking edit on the page you want to link to; the node number will then appear on the URL address field up top. For internal links, leave out www.aalto.fi, and start the link with the language abbreviation, i.e. /en/services, or /en/node/12345.
Also, make sure to link to the language version that corresponds to the language of your page.
On a page, the reader is often provided with links to further information. These kinds of links can be made more visible by using Link highlight formatting, which puts an arrow in front of the link text (see image below). Please note that this type of link formatting cannot be used inside a text paragraph, as Link highlight formatting always shows the linked text in its own row.
Adding Link highlight:
- Select the linked text
- Click on "Styles" and select "Link highlight"
Need more Drupal instructions?
Below you can access instructions on how to create links using e.g. liftups components. You can also learn how to find broken links on your pages using the Siteimprove tool.
Here, you will find a short description of and a link to the different liftup components available to you at aalto.fi. With them, you can visualise and highlight the versatile content on the site.