Organising exhibitions at Aalto
Aalto University has 14 exhibition spaces across the Otaniemi campus which are free and open to the public year-round. All Aalto University students, staff and researchers interested in organising their own exhibitions are welcome to coordinate them in the following way.
- Choose the right space for your exhibition: Exhibitors can reserve the use of spaces for exhibition in four buildings on campus: Väre (ARTS), Otakaari 1 (Undergraduate Centre), The Harald Herlin Learning Centre (Oppimiskeskus) and Otakaari 7 (Aalto Studios Gallery Lounge). See the Visual Resource Guide for Exhibitions here for more information.
- Use Asio to request dates for your chosen space: To reserve a space for your exhibition, log into the Asio system and select Otaniemi > Exhibition Spaces You can search by building, then by clicking the calendar icon on the space you wish to reserve you can submit a request for dates. Remember to click each day (Monday-Friday) when booking. Please try to keep to a two-week time frame to allow fair access to all. For any further questions regarding reservations contact: Jonna Utriainen <[email protected]>
- Use Take-out to reserve display systems and A/V equipment: Exhibition displays such as pedestals are now available to reserve through takeout https://takeout.aalto.fi/vare . Just type 'Events' in the search bar to see a list of exhibition stands.
- IT-support: IT and AV support for Aalto's IT services is available in the Otaniemi area on weekdays 8 am to 4 pm, and we also offer support for organizing exhibition activities. In terms of hardware, we offer standard office-type workstation support (Windows, Mac, Linux) as well as AV support for AV connections corresponding to normal hall technology. Depending on the exhibition space, it may also be possible to have a wired network, but we recommend using the Aalto Open wireless network. IT services have some IT and AV loan equipment, but mainly the loan equipment needs of the exhibitions should be determined through the exhibition coordinators or Aalto Takeout. The user must borrow the equipment himself and the borrower is responsible for transporting and storing the equipment until it is returned. For more diverse and individual needs, as well as other IT and AV events related to the exhibitions, ask more from the exhibition coordinators (eg curated exhibitions) or contact [email protected] (eg Väre ARTS student exhibitions) to see exhibition-specific IT and AV support opportunities together.
Deliveries: Loading and Unloading
By planning ahead and communicating with the exhibitions team, deliveries and can be easily arranged. If you are planning a delivery or collection of exhibition works or materials from Väre loading bay, please prepare and confirm the location for the delivered works or materials ahead of time. If using the exhibition area, please ensure the delivery, or collection dates are within the dates of the exhibition booking. If unsure about the delivery and unloading plans, please contact Curator [email protected] to clarify and plan ahead.
- All logistics arrangements are the responsibility of the exhibitors. The loading bay at Väre has a time limit of 15 minutes for deliveries. This is for loading/unloading only.
- If you are arranging deliveries to Väre, it is good to inform Lobby Services at the Info Desk of the times and arrange to borrow trolleys to move the delivery as it arrives.
- If, for any reason, you need to leave the delivery unattended for any amount of time, please ask lobby services at the info desk for a slip to put your name, contact details and time/date on the delivery.
- Deliveries must be moved immediately and cannot be left in the loading bay or the nearby workshops. This blocks access for other deliveries, disrupts the access to workshop spaces and could also cause further accessibility issues. Please help to keep shared spaces in Väre safe and accessible for all.
This link provides the exact location for deliveries to Väre loading dock:
For further information on exhibitions at Aalto contact:
Edel O' Reilly, Curator ([email protected])
Outi Turpeinen, Art Coordinator ([email protected])
Currently, all exhibition practices are subject to Aalto guidelines updates related to coronavirus, please see below for updates:
Further general guidelines can be found on Aalto’s coronavirus update page: https://www.aalto.fi/en/aalto-university/information-on-coronavirus