Organise an Exhibition at Aalto University
How to organise your exhibition at Aalto University
Reservations for Otaniemi campus exhibition spaces can be made online using the Asio booking calendar. The digitisation of the booking system now provides exhibitors with more information such as: the choice of available spaces including images, floor plans, tech specs, guidelines and contacts to support preparations.
Exhibitions, organised and produced by students and staff, provide an important interface to the curriculum and research at Aalto University. The opportunity to organise your own exhibition is open to all schools at Aalto. Any member of the Aalto Community including students, staff and researchers are encouraged to make use of the many spaces across the campus, which can be sites for self-organized exhibitions to share your work.
Exhibitors can book a two-week reservation of available exhibition spaces using the Asio system by clicking Otaniemi > Exhibition Spaces and searching for the space.
Booking Exhibition Spaces
Please see sample booking window in the image below to create one reservation request for the exhibition duration (2-14 days)
Organising exhibitions at Aalto
Aalto University has 12 exhibition spaces across the Otaniemi campus which are free and open to the public year-round. All Aalto University students, staff and researchers interested in organising their own exhibitions are welcome to coordinate them in the following way.
- Choose the right space for your exhibition: Exhibitors can reserve the use of spaces for exhibition in four buildings on campus: Väre (ARTS), Otakaari 1 (Undergraduate Centre), The Harald Herlin Learning Centre (Oppimiskeskus) and Otakaari 7 (Aalto Studios Gallery Lounge). See the Visual Resource Guide for Exhibitions here for more information.
- Use Asio to request dates for your chosen space: To reserve a space for your exhibition, log into the Asio system and select Otaniemi > Exhibition SpacesYou can search by building, then by clicking the calendar icon on the space you wish to reserve you can submit a request for dates. Remember to click each day (Monday-Friday) when booking. Please try to keep to a two-week time frame to allow fair access to all. For any further questions regarding reservations contact: Jonna Utriainen <[email protected]>
- Use Take-out to reserve display systems and A/V equipment: Exhibition displays such as pedestals are now available to reserve through takeout https://takeout.aalto.fi/vare . Just type 'Events' in the search bar to see a list of exhibition stands.
- IT-support: IT and AV support for Aalto's IT services is available in the Otaniemi area on weekdays 8 am to 4 pm, and we also offer support for organizing exhibition activities. In terms of hardware, we offer standard office-type workstation support (Windows, Mac, Linux) as well as AV support for AV connections corresponding to normal hall technology. Depending on the exhibition space, it may also be possible to have a wired network, but we recommend using the Aalto Open wireless network. IT services have some IT and AV loan equipment, but mainly the loan equipment needs of the exhibitions should be determined through the exhibition coordinators or Aalto Takeout. The user must borrow the equipment himself and the borrower is responsible for transporting and storing the equipment until it is returned. For more diverse and individual needs, as well as other IT and AV events related to the exhibitions, ask more from the exhibition coordinators (eg curated exhibitions) or contact [email protected] (eg Väre ARTS student exhibitions) to see exhibition-specific IT and AV support opportunities together.
Deliveries: Loading and Unloading
By planning ahead and communicating with the exhibitions team, deliveries and can be easily arranged. If you are planning a delivery or collection of exhibition works or materials from Väre loading bay, please prepare and confirm the location for the delivered works or materials ahead of time. If using the exhibition area, please ensure the delivery, or collection dates are within the dates of the exhibition booking. If unsure about the delivery and unloading plans, please contact Curator [email protected] to clarify and plan ahead.
- All logistics arrangements are the responsibility of the exhibitors. The loading bay at Väre has a time limit of 15 minutes for deliveries. This is for loading/unloading only.
- If you are arranging deliveries to Väre, it is good to inform Lobby Services at the Info Desk of the times and arrange to borrow trolleys to move the delivery as it arrives.
- If, for any reason, you need to leave the delivery unattended for any amount of time, please ask lobby services at the info desk for a slip to put your name, contact details and time/date on the delivery.
- Deliveries must be moved immediately and cannot be left in the loading bay or the nearby workshops. This blocks access for other deliveries, disrupts the access to workshop spaces and could also cause further accessibility issues. Please help to keep shared spaces in Väre safe and accessible for all.
This link provides the exact location for deliveries to Väre loading dock:
Safety and Fire Safety
- Do not block doorways and keep exits and routes clear at all times.
- Do not place exhibits items or other items in front of the fire extinguisher.
- Make sure that the exhibits items are placed and fit in the reserved exhibition area.
- Take care of structures and materials safety
- Take consider that there is no risk of accidents (no sharp edges or falling objects)
- Avoid any risk of stumbling or falling (taping ires on the ground)
- Make sure there isn’t strong odour or humidity produced by the materials
If unsure about the safety issues,
Aalto University now has a Design for All team to advise on safety and accessibility of your exhibition plans if needed. Please contact Curator [email protected] to clarify and plan ahead of your exhibition.
Aalto ARTS' have published resources and guidelines for your exhibition and event Communications. Check the guides here:
For further information on exhibitions at Aalto contact:
Edel O' Reilly, Curator ([email protected])
Outi Turpeinen, Manager/ Public Art & Exhibitions ([email protected])
Here you will also find restaurants, the map, the Aalto Space mobile app, access control - all practical information on one page! You can also visit the campus virtually.
Currently, all exhibition practices are subject to Aalto guidelines updates related to coronavirus, please see below for updates:
Further general guidelines can be found on Aalto’s coronavirus update page: https://www.aalto.fi/en/aalto-university/information-on-coronavirus