Complex sustainability challenges like climate change, loss of biodiversity and global inequality call for ground-breaking and societally impactful research. Our key research areas give us a unique chance for creating practice-relevant knowledge on cutting-edge sustainability solutions.
Instructions and tips for a sustainable life
After housing and mobility, food is the most significant factor affecting climate change.
- Choose plant-based and seasonal foods, as well as local, organic and fairtrade.
- Only take as much as you can eat.
- Use proper cutlery, instead of paper or plastic.
- Tapwater is an ecological choice for drink.
- You can share and pick up leftover foods through the student’s telegram group.
Use computers and other devices eco-efficiently. The Aalto IT Service Desk can help you.
- Check the power save settings on your computer, even the sleep mode uses power.
- Turn off the screen, lights and devices, when not in use.
- Minimise your paper consumption, print on both sides of a paper and in smaller print.
Make smart choices – avoid waste.
- Refuse what you do not need, repair what is broken, reuse/repurpose and recycle
- Sort waste according to instructions
Aalto strives for sustainable mobility with HSL and cities.
- Whenever possible walk, cycle or use public transportation, favour rail traffic: reittiopas.hsl.fi
- City bikes: kaupunkipyorat.hsl.fi
- Loan campus bikes from Dipoli or from Väre.
- Repair your bike in Otaniemi at a BFIX work station or through Bikepoli
- Car sharing
- Compensate your carbon emissions compensate.com
Otaniemi recycling center is the perfect place to rent your homeware. You can also donate, buy and get free useful stuff in the heart of the campus: fb.com/reuseandrescue
- Facebook fleamarket group Teekkarikylän markkinat
- Selling and giving away stuff on Telegram
Leisure time and events
- Aalto psychologist offer help for example with climate anxiety and stress.
- Student associations:
- Organize your events sustainably
Look for other events by student union's Campus Section and other associations, such as the Village Clean-up Day.
Housing and university buildings
Aalto aims for energy efficiency in campuses.
- Change to green electricity
- ”No adds please / Ei mainoksia” sticker in your door cuts down the paper waste.
- Switch off the lights when you don't need to use them.
- Switch off your workstation's screen, when leaving the work station.
- Use email or other electronic communications channels instead of printouts
- Conserve water
The most effective way to promote sustainability is through your studies
Efficient recycling and sorting of waste is part of Aalto University's sustainable development strategy. We strive to reduce waste and reuse raw materials for either new products or energy.
The seminar brings together students, academia and industry to discuss challenges and opportunities of the sustainable green transition in shipping. After the industry’s keynote speeches, three co-financed research topics will be presented and the panel will debate what kind of research and expertise are needed in the sector.