Application form and its appendices
Only complete applications will be processed. Supplementing the application may delay the processing date. Electronic application form (Studyinfo.fi). Please read the instructions carefully before filling in the online application form. After reading the instructions and having all the documents ready, register to the online application system, fill in the application, attach all the required documents and send it.
Required appendices (scanned in pdf form)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
including a list of publications and an account of other scientific activity; example. Remember to update you CV so that the information there does not conflict with your funding source!
- Supervision plan
- Study plan
- Research plan. Applicant can also make a free-form research plan; note that it must be signed by the applicant and the supervising professor. A research plan includes:
- preliminary research plan
- schedule for the research
- possibilities for funding the research work (full-time applicants must have acquired funding for at least 6 months when applying; plans to apply for funding is not sufficient for a full-time status)
- aim and impact of the research
- methods and implementation of the scientific plan
- researcher mobility during and after doctoral studies
- publication plan
The study plan, research plan and supervision plan needs to be approved by the applicant and the supervising professor. By signing these documents, the professor responsible for the research field confirms to be the supervising professor of the applicant.
In addition to the appendices above, applicants to the research field of Industrial Engineering and Management are required to obtain:
- A recommending statement from the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management. The Doctoral Programme will ask for the statement on behalf of the applicant. The statement must be a recommending one in order for the applicant to be approved to the programme.
Applicants with a master´s degree or education earned at another institution than Aalto University (or the preceding universities of Aalto University) shall also provide the following documents:
1. Master’s degree certificate and official transcript:
- Master's degree certificate, including all the appendices and the Diploma Supplement in European countries
- Official transcripts of records of all the courses included in the Master’s degree
- Official translations of these, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Please upload these as scanned copies to the electronic application form in Studyinfo.
Degrees awarded by a higher education institution outside Finland:
You are asked to present your original degree certificate (including all the appendices and the Diploma Supplement in European countries) and official transcript of records, or certified copies of all these* at the latest after admission. You are asked to present also the official translations* of these, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Degrees awarded by a higher education institution in Finland:
If you have completed a degree in Finland after 1 January 2003 and you have a Finnish personal identification code, Aalto University will verify your degree electronically using a national database.
If your degree was completed before 1 January 2003, or you do not have a Finnish personal identification code, you are asked to present your original degree certificate (including all the appendices and the Diploma Supplement in European countries) and official transcript of records or certified copies of all these* at the latest after admission.
*Certified copies and translations
2. Abstract of Master's thesis in English
3. Proof of proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English
- A successful applicant must have an excellent command of Finnish, Swedish, or English.
- Please see Required language proficiency
- If the applicant is working at the department or if the applicant applies for full-time doctoral studies, the supervising professor may write a recommending statement that the applicant has sufficient language skills. If the professor writes a recommending statement, no language test is required.
4. Copy of the holder page of your passport
5. A document confirming eligibility for doctoral studies, if needed (please see Eligibility for doctoral studies) with an official translation, if the original document is not in Finnish, Swedish or English.