Individual arrangements for entrance examinations
Individual arrangements for entrance examinations
What are individual arrangements?
In student admissions, individual arrangements refer to individually tailored practical arrangements during an entrance examination. You may be entitled to individual arrangements based on illness, disability or other impairment. The arrangements made depend on your needs. Examples of individual arrangements are extra time for examinations and the possibility to use technical aids in the exam.
Individual arrangements do not affect the assessment of the entrance examination: you cannot be given extra points in the examination due to your need for individual arrangements. Any information on your state of health is not disclosed to the examiner of the entrance examination.
The application period for individual arrangements in entrance examinations in the first spring joint application ended 24.1.2024 at 3 pm (GMT +2).
You can, however, apply for individual arrangements after the deadline if your need for them has arisen after the deadline.
For further information, contact [email protected].
If you are given extra time for the examination, it will be added to the end of your examination time. You will be informed of the specific start and end time of your examination in the email containing the decision on your individual arrangements.
You cannot be given extra time for any entrance examinations in the field of arts or for the drawing and design test in architecture.Nonetheless, you can apply for other individual arrangements for the above entrance examinations.
If you will have a personal assistant accompanying you to the examination hall, please mention it on your application form for individual arrangements.
If you need a personal assistant during the examination, you must apply for individual arrangements and provide an expert statement on your need for a personal assistant. Please note that you must arrange the personal assistant for yourself.
If you need an accessible examination room, please apply for individual arrangements. That way, an accessible space is guaranteed for you. No expert statement is required.
As a rule, you are allowed to take your diabetes equipment, such as a blood sugar monitor or insulin pump, into the exam without notifying the university of it.
However, if the equipment includes any smart devices, using them during the entrance examination requires you to apply for individual arrangements. A smart device is any electronic device that can transmit, receive or save data.
Apply for individual arrangements for entrance examinations by filling in the application form and appending the required expert statements to it.
- You must submit your application for individual arrangements to the school where you are taking the entrance examination. Joint admissions in engineering and architecture (DIA) are an exception to this rule: all DIA applicants submit their application for individual arrangements to Aalto University.
- The application must specify the type of individual arrangements needed.
Make sure to submit the application form by the deadline even if you had not obtained the required expert statements by that time. Make sure to mention on your application form that the required expert statements are forthcoming. In such cases, you may submit the statements after the deadline; statements received after the deadline will be taken into consideration when possible.
You can apply for individual arrangements also after the deadline if your need for them has arisen after the deadline.
Instructions for applying for individual arrangements and submitting the required appendices
- Download the application form for individual arrangements to your computer.
Note: If you plan to take part in entrance examinations in more than one field of study, you need a separate form for each field. For example, if you take part in the joint admissions for engineering and architecture and for the field of business, you must fill in a separate form for both fields. The application form for the field of business is applicable to those who need individual arrangements in the entrance examination organised on the Aalto University premises. The application form for the field of technology may be used for applying for individual arrangements in the entrance examinations organised at any of the universities taking part in the joint admissions in engineering and architecture (DIA). You will find the links to the application forms at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in the application form. You do not need to sign the form, simply fill in the electronic form.
- Save the application form and its appendices on your computer as PDFs so you can attach them later to a secure email.
- Go to https://securemail.aalto.fi where you can send secure email.
- Enter your email address into the text field on the page and select Continue.
- In the next view, select Register.
- You will get an email confirmation of your registration. Click on the link in the email to access the secure email service.
- Put [email protected] as the email recipient.
- In the subject field, type ‘individual arrangements’ and the name of the entrance examination you are taking, e.g. ‘Individual arrangements, entrance examination for the joint admissions in the field of business’.
- To attach your application form and the required appendices to your message, go to Attachments and select Choose Files. Please include all your documents in the same email, adding the application form and each appendix as separate files in PDF format. When you have uploaded all the files, select Attach.
- Finally, send the message by clicking Send.
Note: You cannot register or send secure email as instructed above using an aalto.fi email address.
Your application for individual arrangements must be supported by an expert statement stating the reasons for the individual arrangements and specify the individual arrangements you need.
The expert statement must:
- clearly state the reasons for requesting individual arrangements (any diagnoses and other reasons for the support measures you have requested)
- specify the individual arrangements recommended for you
- include your personal data
- include the name and position of the statement issuer (profession/expert role) and
- include the place and date of statement issuance.
The period of validity of the expert statements is decided on a case-by-case basis depending on the degree of permanence of the disability, illness or learning difficulty. For dyslexia, the statements must originate from when the applicant was 16 years of age or older.
Do not send original certificates or statements, a copy is enough. The appendices will not be returned. Be prepared to present the original certificates when you begin your studies if you gain admission to the university.
Professional qualifications of statement issuer
The statement issuer must hold adequate professional qualifications for assessing your impairments and the related needs for individual arrangements.
For instance, persons who apply for individual arrangements based on illness or disability must append a medical certificate to their application.
Those applying for individual arrangements due to attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) must append a medical certificate or a statement by a psychologist.
Applications for additional time due to dyslexia or dysgraphia (disorder of written expression) must be supported by an assessment from a special education teacher, speech therapist, psychologist or an appropriately qualified medical practitioner (children’s neurologist, neurologist or phoniatrician).
In the case of dyslexia or dysgraphia, the Matriculation Examination Board’s decision on individual arrangements is sufficient proof of need for individual arrangements if
- the decision clearly states that individual arrangements were made when you took the Finnish Matriculation Examination and
- you are applying for the same kinds of arrangements for the entrance examination.
We will email our decision on individual arrangements to you no later than approximately one week before the examination. If you have not received a decision on the arrangements two days before the entrance examination at the latest, contact the Aalto University Admission Services. Decisions on individual arrangements are specific to each entrance examination and to the specific date(s) of the entrance examination.
Place of entrance examination:
- If you are granted individual arrangements, we will notify you of the place of your entrance examination about one week before the examination date.
The university may not to grant you individual arrangements if they are impossible to put into practice, for instance, due to time constraints. Having a favourable decision on individual arrangements from another school or a previous decision from the same school does not mean that you will automatically be granted the same individual arrangements this year.
If you are dissatisfied with the individual arrangements granted to you, please contact the Aalto University Admission Services as soon as possible. You can formally request for an administrative review of your individual arrangements decision after you have been informed of the admission results. The admission results for the first spring application period will be published 31.5.2024. You will receive instructions on requesting for an administrative review in connection with your admission decision.