Writing your master's thesis
You need to write a master’s thesis in accordance with the instructions given by your programme. The associated master’s thesis seminar will help you in the writing process, as will your designated thesis advisor. Please note that you must be enrolled as an attending student for the right to study which relates to the master’s thesis you are writing.
Instructions for the master's thesis
The master's thesis is graded according to common criteria at the School of Business. Read the grading rubric when you are planning and writing your thesis. The rubric can be found here (PDF).
- Read more about the thesis seminar of your programme on Sisu.
- You will find the seminar in your personal study plan or through the curriculum page of your programme.
- Register for the seminar on Sisu.
- Take part in the seminar work and write your thesis.
- The abstract of your thesis acts as your maturity essay. Read more about the maturity essay further down on this page.
- Format the thesis file for submission.
- Submit your thesis as a single PDF/A file containing the cover page and thesis abstract. See below for details on preparing the file.
- Practice saving the thesis in the correct format before the deadline date, because if you encounter any problems, you will not have time to fix them on the day your thesis is due.
- Submit your master’s thesis for evaluation to MyCourses and to eAge for archiving.
- Submit the same file to both systems.
- You have to be enrolled as an attending student for the right to study to which the master's thesis relates.
- Further information about publishing theses here.
- Attach the cover page and thesis abstract to the beginning of your thesis. The first page of the submitted file should be the cover page, while the next should be the thesis abstract page.
- The cover page and the abstract are written in the same language as your thesis and depending on your language of education the abstract may need to be written in other language(s) as well.
- The abstract of your thesis acts as your maturity essay. Read more about the maturity essay and what languages it needs to be written in further down on this page under The maturity essay at the master's level.
- Save your file as an archival PDF/A file. Suitable formats: PDF/A-1a, -1b, -2a and -2b. Do not use any other file format.
The cover page and abstract page templates can be found under these instructions in Finnish and in English as well as general guidelines for master's thesis structure and design.
Instructions for converting a file to PDF/A compliant version here
For the schedule for thesis evaluation, see the page Graduation. You can submit your thesis for evaluation even before you have completed all your studies.
- Register for the thesis submission workspace of your department on MyCourses.
- Department of Management Studies (PMOD, SMCW, MIB, IDBM, EIM, CS, Global Management*)
- Department of Accounting and Business Law (accounting, business law)
- Department of Marketing (marketing)
- Department of Economics (economics)
- Department of Information and Service Management (ISM, BA)
- Department of Finance (finance)
- Submit your master’s thesis as instructed in the MyCourses workspace.
- Submit your master’s thesis to eAge for archiving. Click here to go to eAge.
- Follow your Aalto email as we will use it to contact you if we need additional information.
- Remember to check your spam folder, because sometimes eAge messages end up there.
* Global Management students who have started their studies before 1.8.2022 should submit their thesis according to their specialization area. Student who have started their studies 1.8.2022, submit the thesis to the workspace of Management studies.
If the thesis and maturity essay are the last study attainments you need to complete to graduate, you can then request for graduation as a Master of Science (Economics and Business Administration). Read more on the page Graduation.
- If you notice an error in your thesis after its submission but before the deadline:
- Ask for your eAge form to be returned to you by emailing to [email protected]
- Correct the error in your thesis.
- Submit the corrected version to the MyCourses workspace no later than on the deadline date.
- Once you get your eAge form back, replace the thesis file with the corrected one and resend the form.
- If you had submitted the earlier version of the thesis separately to your thesis advisor, send the corrected version also to the thesis advisor.
- If you notice an error after the deadline but before the thesis has been evaluated, please do either of the following:
- Suspend the thesis evaluation process by sending an email to the planning officer of your programme or to [email protected]
- Let the thesis advisor evaluate your thesis and then follow the instructions given in item 3 below.
- If you wish to correct an error in your thesis after its evaluation, you can append an errata document to your thesis as instructed below.