You can apply for graduation when all courses required for the Master's degree have been completed and registered in Sisu. An exception to this is master’s thesis which you can submit for evaluation at the same time when submitting the graduation request.
Requests for graduation will be submitted by filling in a graduation request through your study plan in Sisu. Creating a study plan on Sisu is compulsory because Sisu generates the degree certificate based on both it and the graduation request.
When all studies required for the Master's degree are done:
- Answer the Survey for New Graduates in Technology. With this survey, Aalto University collects feedback on the studies and employment of new graduates. The survey is carried out in cooperation with the Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland - TEK, who will use the survey results to track the employment situation and salaries of recently graduated technology professionals in Finland.
- Make sure that your personal study plan is valid and approved. If needed, please update your study plan and apply for its approval before submitting graduation request.
- Submit the graduation request through Sisu. First please check the graduation schedule below. Apply for graduation by filling in a graduation request through your study plan in Sisu. Look at instructions how to request for graduation. The deadline for submitting the graduation request is the official date of graduation. Please also note, that you must be registered as an attending student to submit a graduation request and graduate.
- Receive your diploma at the Graduation Ceremony or collect your diploma from the Learning Services. You will receive an invitation to the Graduation Ceremony by email about a month before the Graduation Ceremony.
- Your study plan is not in "deleted" -status (some older study plans might have a deleted status. In this case, create an entirely new study plan, add courses and apply for needed approvals first)
- The code of the master's thesis is correct. The master's thesis code must correspond to the supervisor's school / department so change the code in your study plan if needed.
- The most common codes are:
- ELEC.thes = For all ELEC supervisors
- Men.thes = Dpt of Mechanical Engineering
- CS.thes = Dpt of Computer Science
- If your supervisor is from none of these departments or you don't know the correct department, ask your supervisor. If it is still unclear, contact [email protected]
Master's thesis written in Finnish or Swedish
You will receive a degree certificate in Finnish / Swedish and get English translation of your degree certificate.
Master's thesis written in English
You will receive a degree certificate in English (the language of the degree) and either in Finnish or Swedish according to your choice.
If you want to receive the certificate in Swedish, please provide the information in the "Other info: Additional info on graduation" text field in the graduation request. Otherwise, the certificate will be printed in Finnish by default.
Students who, in their master’s degree studies, have shown excellent knowledge of the field as well as exceptional maturity and sense of judgment in their thesis, may have this recognised in their degree certificate with the phrase 'completed with honours'. The decision regarding awarding a degree with honours rests with the school. A degree may be awarded with honours if the weighted average grade of the studies (with the thesis) included in the degree is at least 4.00 and if the thesis grade is 4 or 5.
If you are unable to attend the ceremony, you can collect your diploma from the Learning Services ca. six weeks after your graduation date. Also, someone else can collect your diploma from the Learning or it can be mailed to you, if you give a power of attorney for these purposes (certificates are mainly mailed only outside the Helsinki Metropolitan Area). You can submit the power of attorney as a hard copy to Learning Services or as a scanned copy to [email protected]
When your degree has been registered to Sisu, you can download official transcript of records from Sisu. Your graduation date is visible in the transcript of records. In many cases, the official transcript of records is acceptable as a temporary diploma. If you however, need an official temporary diploma, you can request it from the Learning Services ([email protected]) after you have received a message from Sisu, that your graduation request has been accepted.
School of Electrical Engineering arranges four graduation ceremonies every year. The graduation ceremony is a formal event where the dean presents the diplomas. The programme includes music, a speech by the Dean, by one of the graduates and by a representative of TEK (Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland). After the ceremony coffee and cake are served. The estimated duration of the event is two hours. The dress code at the ceremony is dark suit. You may wear your technology student cap at the ceremony. Invitations will be sent to graduates by email around one month before the ceremony. For further inquiries please contact [email protected]
In addition to the School of Electrical Engineering graduation ceremony, an outdoor event “Graduation Party” will be organized on Wednesday 14 June 2023 at 17 for all bachelors, masters and licentiates who have graduated between 1 May 2022 and 30 April 2023 from Aalto University. Invitations to the event with registration link will be sent in April and May. So, remember to update your email address you’ll be using after the graduation in Sisu!
Read more about the Party at https://www.aalto.fi/en/gradparty.
Schedules of degree programme committee meetings and graduation
Degree programme committee meetings are organised once every teaching period and once in June and August. Please see below for the schedule for the dates of the Degree Programme Committee meetings and for the deadlines for applying for a thesis topic, approval of the thesis and Master's degree graduation. Please note that you can apply for graduation and master's thesis evaluation at the same time, if you have all other courses required for the Master's degree registered in Sisu.The deadline for submitting the graduation request is the official date of graduation, which will be printed on the degree certificate. The Dean awards the degrees approximately 3,5 weeks after official graduation date.
Deadline for applications
Degree programme committee meeting date
Date the Dean awards the degree
|Fri 30.12.2022||23.1.2023||Thu 26.1.2023||25.4.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 30.1.2023 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 16.2.2023||25.4.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 27.2.2023||20.3.2023||Thu 23.3.2023||25.4.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 27.3.2023 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 13.4.2023||14.6.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 24.4.2023||15.5.2023||Wed 17.5.2023||14.6.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 29.5.2023||12.6.2023||Thu 15.6.2023||27.9.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 26.6.2023 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 13.7.2023||27.9.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 31.7.2023||21.8.2023||Thu 24.8.2023||27.9.2023 at 16.00|
|Mon 28.8.2023 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 14.9.2023||tba|
|Mon 25.9.2023||9.10.2023||Thu 19.10.2023||tba|
|Mon 30.10.2023 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 16.11.2023||tba|
|Mon 20.11.2023||11.12.2023||Thu 14.12.2023||tba|
|Fri 29.12.2023||January 2024||Thu 25.1.2024||tba|
Deadline for applications
Degree programme committee meeting date
Date the Dean awards the degree
|Fri 29.12.2023||22.1.2024||Thu 25.1.2024||tba|
|Mon 29.1.2024 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 15.2.2024||tba|
|Mon 19.2.2024||11.3.2024||Thu 21.3.2024||tba|
|Mon 25.3.2024 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu11.4.2024||tba|
|Mon 29.4.2024||20.5.2024||Thu 23.5.2024||tba|
|Mon 27.5.2024||10.6.2024||Thu 13.6.2024||tba|
|Mon 24.6.2024 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 11.7.2024||tba|
|Wed 31.7.2024||19.8.2024||Thu 29.8.2024||tba|
|Mon 26.8.2024 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 12.9.2024||tba|
|Mon 30.9.2024||21.10.2024||Thu 24.10.2024||tba|
|Thu 31.10.2024 (only for those who have already had their master's thesis approved and registered in Sisu)||No meeting||Thu 14.11.2024||tba|
|Tue 31.12.2024||Janury 2025||Janury 2025||tba|
If you graduate in the beginning of a term and you are able to change your enrolment status from attendance to non-attendance before the enrolment period ends, you can apply for a membership fee refund from the Student Union.Those who graduate later during the autumn term can apply for a refund on the following term’s membership fee, i.e. for the spring term. https://www.ayy.fi/en/membership-and-student-card/membership-fee
Your study right at Aalto University ends on your graduation date. Because the digital student card Frank App deploys a real-time system in verifying your student status, you cannot continue using the Frank App after you have graduated. If you have a plastic student card, it is valid until the end of your AYY membership period. However, note that if you have a plastic student card and you apply for reimbursement of the membership fee, you must visit your School’s Student Service point with your student card. The Student Service point will record the change and remove the academic year tag on your student card. Further information https://www.ayy.fi/en/membership-and-student-card/student-card-and-frank-app
- When your right to study ends, remove all the software that the university has provided for home use, unless otherwise stated in the license agreement of the software.
- Return all borrowed study material and equipment.
- Return all keys and access badges.
- The right to access Aalto University IT services will remain valid for four months after your graduation, after which it will be removed. The validity period of the access rights may be extended beyond four months only for exceptional reasons.
- Remember to make a copy of the files in your university-provided home directory (network drive) and cloud services (e.g. Google Drive) for yourself, as the files in your home directory will be removed once your access rights expire.
- Any messages sent to a closed Aalto e-mail account will not be delivered. If you have used your Aalto University e-mail address to create user accounts for other services (e.g. Apple ID or Dropbox), please remember to replace the Aalto address with your personal e-mail address in those services.
Please note that you may be bound by a confidentiality obligation even after your graduation, if you have, for instance, gained access to secret information while in a position of trust at the university.
Aalto University graduates' degree information is saved automatically in Aalto's alumni and partner system (CRM) after the graduation.
By joining Aalto Alumni Circle, the digital network, you can update your contact details, keep in touch with fellow graduates and current students and you can obtain @alumni.aalto.fi mailbox.
Further infomation: aalto.fi/en/alumneille (aalto.fi) or [email protected]
National career monitoring survey is conducted by Career Services of Finnish Universities. The target group in Master's survey is alumni who graduated five years ago and in Doctoral survey alumni who graduated three years.
Please take time to respond when you get the survey after graduation, your response is highly appreciated! It will provide current information from the working life that can be utilized in the development of teaching and research. Additionally, students who are still deciding on their studies and job opportunities value the information gained from the career paths of graduates.
For more information: https://www.aalto.fi/en/collaboration/aalto-university-graduates-in-working-life
Career Design for Students
Career design is an experimental approach for creating a meaningful career path in the constantly changing world of work.
As an Aalto University alumnus/alumna, you are an important part of Aalto community. Welcome to develop, participate and network!