- Quantitative evaluation should support qualitative, expert assessment. Quantitative metrics can challenge bias tendencies in peer review and facilitate deliberation.
- Measure performance against the research missions of the institution, group or researcher.
- Protect excellence in locally relevant research
- Keep data collection and analytical processes open, transparent and simple.
- Allow those evaluated to verify data and analysis.
- Account for variation by field in publication and citation practices.
- Base assessment of individual researchers on a qualitative judgement of their portfolio.
- Avoid misplaced concreteness and false precision.
- Recognize the systemic effects of assessment and indicators.
- Scrutinize indicators regularly and update them.
Have a look at other recommendations on research and researcher assessment
There is a need to improve the ways in which the output of scientific research is evaluated by funding agencies, academic institutions, and other parties. Declaration of Research Assessment, DORA, was one of the first initiatives to improve the ways in which researchers and the outputs of scholarly research are evaluated
Researcher evaluation shapes and directs research. The entire research community should take responsibility for the principles and practices of researcher evaluation. This recommendation for the responsible evaluation of a researcher provides the basis for a functioning, diverse and flourishing research community.
Go to Aalto University Research assessments page
Aalto University is continuously assessing the quality of its research and artistic activities, and its societal impact. The assessment is based on peer review and internationally agreed best practices.