Our strategy: change to annual planning schedule, next community event will be held on 22 April
In the last month, world events have taken a turn that could not have been foreseen at the start of the year, when we published our university’s new strategy.
We will continue to prepare the implementation of our strategy, but due to the special arrangements resulting from the current exceptional situation, we will allow a few more weeks for the planning process. The finalisation of the plans in the autumn will also change slightly so that we are able to take into account the impact of the pandemic on the economy. More details of the modified schedule can be found at the end of this news article.
Due to the exceptional situation, the community event open to all members of the Aalto community has been postponed and will be held remotely on Wednesday 22 April from 14.00 to 15.30. The community event will work on development measures for key areas of the new strategy: research, teaching, impact and values.
Please register for the event no later than 17 April so that we can estimate the number of participants and prepare the necessary technical arrangements.
‘In the light of recent events, contemplating the future now involves whole new areas and considerations. In the current situation, it is even more important for us to continue this work together. We are still a community, even though our normally vibrant campus has gone quiet. The life of the community has simply switched from face-to-face encounters to contact via the internet and telephone,’ says President of Aalto University Ilkka Niemelä.
‘Hopefully, as many as possible will be able to attend the online community event on 22 April, where we will explore different strategy themes. Now more than ever it is of the utmost importance to look to the future, show the strength of our community and gather a broad range of perspectives on the different themes from across our entire community.’
Changes to annual planning schedule for strategy implementation
This spring is the most intensive time for preparing the implementation of the new strategy. The schools are currently preparing their plans for all seven focus of development areas of the strategy. Under the leadership of the President’s Management Team (PMT) and with assistance from our wide range of experts, plans will likewise be formed for the strategy’s joint areas.
Details of the annual planning process for 2020
The annual planning schedule was updated in the PMT meeting 26 March. If necessary, we will further modify the schedule at a later date.
- The outcomes of our operations were examined in the University Review, which was held on 5 March. The reviews are organised annually in each of the university’s schools and services as well as for the university as a whole.
- The schools, PMT and services will have the first versions of their plans ready by 5 May.
- The PMT will then examine the plans in May.
- In June, the Board will issue regulations on areas such as indicators to be used for strategy monitoring.
- All units will then further refine their plans and indicators before the end of August.
- During the summer and autumn, the university will also negotiate the objectives and funding for the forthcoming four-year period with the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- In September, the Board will define the preliminary 2021 budget and the long-term budget framework and will also decide on the funding model.
- The university’s joint dialogue will be carried out at the end of October.
- Based on the negotiations, the Board will confirm the strategic objectives for 2021 and the joint strategic plan for 2022–2024 in November.
- With the introduction of the new, dynamic strategy, an additional stage is being added to the preparation process for strategy implementation: the University Preview, to be held towards the end of the year. In the preview, we will examine the way in which the constantly changing world around us is affecting the strategic direction of our university.
During the different stages of the annual process, community events will be organised in order to obtain the entire community's views on issues that affect the university's operations. The next event will be held on April 22.
The materials for the University Review can be viewed using the link below (login with Aalto credentials needed).
Please register for the next community event via the link below. You can also read highlights from the previous community event.