Research in International Business
Our Past and Present
The unit of International Business focuses on developing strategic and managerial capabilities needed to succeed in an increasingly complex and culturally diverse global environment.
Since 1989 our faculty has pioneered business education in Finland by offering a full-fledged M.Sc. programme taught entirely in English with real-life teaching cases and engagement of international business professionals.
We strive to be the leading International Business unit in Europe. We continue this pioneering spirit by developing innovative research and teaching in International Business. Combining strong research with the multicultural background of our faculty and students enables us to educate professionals with competences and skills needed to anticipate and respond to global challenges in a creative and responsible manner.
Research in the International Business Unit focuses on international management, cross-boundary collaboration, and methodology. Our current research areas include:
- Language sensitive research in international business
- Cultural and institutional differences
- People management in the international context
- Sustainability and corporate social responsibility
- Cross-sector and cross-border collaboration
- International mergers and acquisitions
- International entrepreneurship
- Research methodology
Our faculty hosts regular international research seminars and is actively engaged in research collaboration with other top international scholars.Our faculty is well known for cutting-edge contributions to:
- Language in IB research, led by Rebecca Piekkari,
- International human resource management, led by Kristiina Mäkelä,
- Cross sector collaboration between corporations, nonprofits and governments, led by Tiina Ritvala
Publications in top journals
Our unit is one of the leading International Business units in Europe – it reflects in awards given to our faculty, as well as publications in top-ranked academic journals, such as:
- Academy of Management Review,
- Human Resource Management,
- Human Resource Management Journal,
- International Business Review,
- Journal of International Business Studies,
- Journal of Management Studies,
- Journal of World Business.
Our International Network
We work in close cooperation with leading international companies and other public, private and non-profit organizations. We encourage strong international cooperation among scholars, and an open, cooperative atmosphere within the community of IB faculty and students.
We have several international scholars visiting and working with us every year. Furthermore, our own faculty and doctoral students are active in international research networks, such as:
Head of Department: Johanna Moisander
Unit Coordinator: Rebecca Piekkari
Secretary: Tiia Melander