Students using Aalto services (such as Sisu or Mycourses) outside the Aalto network will no longer be able to log in to Sisu with just their Aalto user ID. In addition, they will have to authenticate themselves by a further authentication process using their smart phone.
Aalto user ID, student information systems and student communication at the Open University
Aalto user ID
You can activate your Aalto user ID one day after you have done your course registration. Once activation has become possible, you will get activation instructions by e-mail from Aalto University IT Services. Using the self-service portal requires identification with online banking codes, mobile certificate or identity card. If you cannot use these methods for activation you can use the personal registration link in your activation e-mail. Alternatively, you may also obtain the username by visiting the Aalto University IT Service Desk.
Please read the activation instructions by IT Services.
If you already have an Aalto user ID, you can change your password at https://password.aalto.fi/.
The Aalto user ID will be valid for the duration of your study right at the Open University.
Logging in to MyCourses with your Aalto user ID
Most Open University courses use the online learning environment MyCourses. You must log in with your Aalto user ID to be able to use all the features of your course workspace. Log in by clicking on Login as Aalto user. Pay attention that you are using your Aalto user ID to log in, not your Aimo user ID or the Haka log-in!
In addition, you will need to activate a multifactor authentication. Please read the instructions from here.
You will be able to log in to MyCourses and, for example, attend online lectures there one day after you have successfully activated your Aalto user ID. In other words, it will take altogether two nights from your course registration until you will be able to access your restricted MyCourses workspace, if you activate your Aalto user ID as instructed one day after your course registration.
It is recommended that you activate your Aalto user ID and check that you can access your MyCourses workspace well before the start date of the course.
Your Aalto user ID also gives you access to the following systems and services
- In the Sisu student information system you can check your student number and the duration of your study right, view your results, and download an electronic transcript of records.
- You can utilize the wide variety of electronic resources of the Aalto University Learning Centre available via remote connection.
- You can download software that you need on your courses to your home computer from the download.aalto.fi service.
- You can use on-campus computer work stations intended for students.
Other study-related systems and software
- Aimo is the Open University registration system for courses and exams, where students may also update their contact details and view their earlier course registrations. Use yourAimo username to log in. Starting from May 2023 registration to courses and exams will be done in Sisu-service.
- Student guide is the Aalto University student portal for degree students. Open University students may find it useful particularly for information on degree and minor structures. You can browse Into without logging in.
- Teams is available to all students at Aalto University. It suits well for projects, student groups, and service teams. Aalto has both the browser version and the desktop application, and a mobile version is available for phones.
- Panopto media is a software and media service that is designed to capture, edit, stream, and share video presentations and recorded lectures.
- Zoom offers communications software that combines video conferencing, online meetings, chat, and mobile collaboration. Zoom is available for students at Aalto University.
Student communication and Aalto e-mail address
The office of the Open University contacts students by e-mail or by telephone particularly in urgent matters (such as cancelled classes or other changes). Please remember to keep your contact information up to date in the Aimo service. From there it will be transferred automatically to the Sisu student information system.
As a student of the Open University you will not be created an Aalto e-mail address unless you specifically request for it. For this, please contact IT Services. The Aalto e-mail address follows the format [email protected].Observe that your Aalto e-mail address will be valid only for the duration of your study right. A student can have only one contact e-mail address in the student register. You can redirect your Aalto e-mails to another e-mail address of your choice, for which further information is available here.
Open University contact details
Click here for contact details for Open University services and personnel.