Education and research
Aalto strives to integrate sustainability themes into all programmes, in a meaningful way. We also aim to offer multidisciplinary study opportunities increasingly. Read more: Aalto Co-Educator team (ACE) | Aalto University
Aalto University’s sustainability impact is based on a strong multidisciplinary research expertise and interaction with other players in society. Our research is internationally high level and we produce new innovations in relation to sustainable development. Read more about research in Aalto via: Research & Art | Aalto University and Aalto University's research portal
- Aalto University offers multiple sustainability focused programmes and courses. You can search sustainability courses e.g., via our course catalogue: Aalto courses
- Please see also the path of Lifewide Learning (aalto.fi) and get to know Climate University network, that provides free online courses for universities and everyone who wants to make the sustainability transition in the society real.
We pay attention to responsibility in procurements. However, you don't have to own everything; here are a few ideas for circular and sharing economy:
Recycling and sorting
The best waste is no waste.
- Our campus buildings have extensive recycling possibilities – currently, almost all possible fractions end up in the material cycle, and sorting has been strived to make as easy as possible with clear instructions.
- Please sort waste according to provided instructions, both on campus and in your spare time.
Read more about recycling and sorting: Recycling and sorting | Aalto University and From a recycling pilot project to everyday life | ACRE (aalto.fi)
Use computers and other devices efficiently. In case tou need instructions or help, please turn to IT Help | Aalto University
- Check the power save settings on your computer, even the sleep mode uses power.
- Turn off the screen, lights and devices, when not in use (however, check the instructions for shared devices separately).
- Did you know that emissions from the information technology sector are constantly increasing and, for example, watching online videos produces considerable emissions, the totality of which is challenging to assess? Examine your own IT habits critically.
- Minimise your paper consumption, print on both sides of a paper and in smaller font.
Housing and Sustainable Campus
Aalto University's goal is a carbon-neutral campus by 2030. Aalto's own carbon neutrality roadmap will be completed by the beginning of 2023.
Aalto University Campus and Real Estate (ACRE), takes care of Aalto's properties, develops the campus area's energy efficiency, circular economy, and own low-carbon energy systems and low-carbon construction. Attention is also paid to the natural diversity of the campus area in all development projects.
Campus users are involved in the campus's sustainable development work, for example by collecting user feedback, student projects, joint development and other methods of participation.
Read more: Sustainable campus | ACRE (aalto.fi)
Aalto University works to promote sustainable mobility together with HSL and the cities of the capital region. A sustainable mobility plan is currently being created for the campus, which will be published in the fall of 2023.
In practice, you can implement sustainable transport with, for example, the following means and services:
- Whenever possible, walk, cycle, or use public transport, prefer rail transport. HSL.fi/en
- The Otaniemi campus lends campus bikes for Aalto staff and cargo bikes for staff and student events, has HSL city bikes, and bike service points. Find out more: Campus bikes and cycling | Aalto University
- If you ever need a car, check out various car sharing and rental services.
After housing and mobility, food is the most significant factor affecting climate change.
- Favor plant-based and seasonal foods, as well as local, organic and Fairtrade.
- Only take as much as you can eat.
- Use proper cutlery, instead of paper or plastic.
- Tap water is an ecological drink.
- Rent a plot at the Otaniemi Urban Garden: Otaniemi Urban Gardening Association (ayy.fi)
- You can share and pick up leftover foods through the student’s Telegram group: Telegram: Contact @foodl123
Wellbeing and socialising
Equality, diversity and inclusiveness are in our core values, supporting our community’s wellbeing, creativity and ability to foster world-class research, teaching and impact. Caring for your own and others' well-being is an important part of sustainability. See: Aalto University - Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Plan 2022–2024
Aalto University Student Union AYY and the associations operating within it organise community activities and influence matters concerning students. Read more: List of Associations | Aalto University Student Union (ayy.fi)
- Instructions for sustainable event organisation can be found here, for example: Tips for a carbon-smart event - Tapaus Oy
- The Starting Point of Wellbeing service point offers students low-threshold counseling and service guidance in matters related to well-being: Starting Point of Wellbeing | Aalto University
- See also the Oasis of Radical Wellbeing wellness accelerator in Aalto. Oasis brings expertise and research-based information about well-being to the fore, and its goal is to increase the awareness of the entire Aalto community members about operating models that create well-being and services that support well-being. Oasis of Radical Wellbeing | Aalto University