Language of degree of a doctoral candidate
Doctoral candidates will define in their application for doctoral studies the language in which they will pursue their degree (the language of the degree). The possible languages are Finnish, Swedish, or English. If the doctoral candidate chooses to write his/her doctoral thesis (a monograph or a compiling part of a compilation thesis) in Finnish or Swedish, the language of degree will be Finnish or Swedish. The language of the degree is approved by the doctoral programme committee.
The language of the degree can, on reasonable grounds, be changed later if e.g. the language of the doctoral thesis changes. A freely formulated, signed application indicating reasons for why the language of degree should be changed, must be submitted to the doctoral programme of the School of Electrical Engineering, at the latest, at the same time as the degree certificate application.
Finnish or Swedish as the language of degree
A doctoral candidate whose language of degree is Finnish or Swedish will be granted the degree certificate in Finnish or Swedish along with a translation in English. If the doctoral candidate writes his/her thesis in Finnish or Swedish, the language of the degree will always be Finnish or Swedish, despite the earlier choice of language.
English as the language of degree
If the doctoral thesis is written in English, the doctoral candidate can choose English as the language of degree.
If the doctoral candidate’s language of degree is English, he or she will be granted the degree certificate in English and in Finnish or Swedish. The language of degree will be mentioned in the diploma supplement, and it will be indicated in the degree certificate that two degree certificates have been given.
Successful applicants must have an excellent command of Finnish, Swedish or English. Applicants are required to attach an official language test report to their application.
The following groups are exempted from the language test requirement:
Applicants who have completed a higher education degree:
- taught in Finnish, Swedish or English at a university or university of applied sciences in Finland; or
- in an English-medium programme at a university or university of applied sciences in an EU/EEA country, in which case the language of the degree must be stated unambiguously in the degree certificate or its appendix, or in the transcript of records or other official document issued by the awarding institution; or
- in an English-medium programme at a higher education institution in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States while residing in that country; or
- who have received their primary and secondary education in English in an EU/EEA country, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
A minimum of one half of the degree must be completed in a country and higher education institution that meet the requirements for exempting the student from taking the English test in Finland.
Only the above-mentioned groups are exempted from the language test requirement; for all other applicants the official English language test result is an obligatory application document and applications without the adequate test result will not be accepted.
The accepted language tests and their minimum scores
The minimum requirements are very strict. If your score does not fulfill the minimum requirements, you are not eligible to apply and your application cannot be accepted.
- IELTS (Academic only): 6.5, and 5.5 for Writing;
- iBT (Internet-based Test): 92, and 22 for the Writing section or
- PDT (Paper-Delivered Test) Reading 22, Listening 22, and Writing 24
- C1 Advanced: A, B or C
- C2 Proficiency: A, B, C or Level C1
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE A): 62, and 54 for writing;
No other English proficiency tests are accepted. If an applicant has taken several language tests, the best official score that is still valid and received by Aalto University by the deadline will be considered in the admissions. You cannot combine scores from different test dates (e.g. TOEFL MyBest scores is not accepted).