Application form should be filled out in eAge application system.
2. Degree certificates from each university attended, including official register lists of study courses taken for the degree (transcripts of records).
You need to scan and upload your original certificates and/or transcripts (with translations, if necessary) to the application system. Please be prepared to send officially certified copies by mail immediately if you are notified that you are selected for phase two of the admission.
3. Research plan: includes a schedule for the studies to be completed (study plan), schedule for dissertation, funding plan, possible project plan, supervision plan and schedule for artistic components. It is usually appr. 5-8 pages (line spacing 1,5, 12 pt) and is free of form, including:
- Your schedule for the completion of the required studies (40/60 ECTS)
- Your schedule for dissertation work
- Your plan for funding
- Work plan and schedule in case you plan to include an artistic component or product development project
Write your research plan completely by yourself. Research plans are treated as confidential in the evaluation process. You can find generic instructions online, see e.g. Academy of Finland's research plan guidelines.
4. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
5. Copy of passport or other official document of identification
6. Letters of recommendation and certificates of employment (optional)
7. In the field of art and design a portfolio if the research plan contains work plan for artistic components or product development projects
8. Proof of language profiency (see more below under Language requirements)
Applications which do not contain all documents deemed necessary will not be evaluated.
All documents must be either in Finnish, Swedish or English. If the original certificate is in a different language, it must be officially translated to one of the aforementioned languages by an authorised translator. Copies of academic documents and their translations must be certified as authentic by a notary or a university official from your university. The translated documents you send to us should be the original official translations (the paper copies sent in the second phase can also be officially certified copies of the original translations). Please note that you will need to submit both the officially certified copies of the original documents in their original language and the official translations.
If you are selected for phase two of the admission, you will have a maximum of three weeks to submit paper copies of your degree certificates and transcripts of records. These officially certified copies of documents need to physically arrive to the Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture within the set deadline, or your application will be rejected.
Note: for degrees completed at Aalto University, paper copies are not needed.
The copy of the passport does not need to be officially certified.
Aalto University Learning Services do not take copies of application documents or attest them.
A portfolio is required if the research plan includes a plan for artistic components. Portfolio presents the abilities of the applicant to demonstrate the artistic components planned. Portfolios can be either uploaded on the application systems in pdf form (maximum size for a single document is 500MB) or the applicant can provide a link to an online portfolio. In case of an online portfolio, the applicant is responsible for ensuring that the link is accessible for a minimum of 2 months from the end of the application period.