Services and support for Ukrainian non-degree students
Arrival and housing in Finland
Teaching at Aalto University is implemented mainly on campus, therefore you are expected to arrive in Finland and have residence here for the duration of your studies.
If you are fleeing the Russian attack on Ukraine, you can apply for temporary protection or asylum. If you hold a biometric Ukrainian passport, you can stay in Finland for a period of three months visa-free. If you are applying for temporary protection or asylum, accommodation can be provided for you at a reception centre. Please find more information on Immigration Office's website.
In addition, there are other options where you can apply for accommodation. Please see the following websites for more information about accommodation possibilities for Ukrainians:
- City of Helsinki
- City of Espoo
- Aalto Marketplace (you are able to leave comments after you have activated your Aalto IT account)
Unfortunately, Aalto University does not own student apartments and therefore, is not able to provide housing for you.
Studying at Aalto University
Toget started with your studies, you must have first activated your Aalto user account. After that you can start using the main IT systems for studies:
- Sisu: study plan and course registration, basic information on courses: course descriptions, schedules and teaching locations.
- MyCourses: online study platform for course homepages: course materials, instructions, news etc are all communicated in MyCourses-pages.
Aalto IT account
Based on your non-degree studies, a digital identity has been created for you. You should soon receive a message on how to activate your digital identity and Aalto IT account. The message is sent to the email address you have given on the application.
Please find the instructions on how to activate your account without strong authentication here.
When you activate your Aalto user ID, an Aalto email box and calendar will be created for you automatically. You can log in to Aalto University’s Webmail at https://mail.aalto.fi/ with your Aalto username and password. Once your Aalto IT account is active, we will contact you through your aalto.fi email.
Creating a personal study plan and registering for courses
Before you can start your studies, you need to finalize your personal study plan. Please note that some courses have a limited number of seats, or they might be targeted only for students of the major.
Please create a personal study plan and register for courses and exams in the Sisu portal. After you have activated your Aalto IT account, you can log in to Sisu here.
Please find the instructions on how to make your study plan and register for courses here.
As soon as your course registration has been confirmed on Sisu, you will be given access to the MyCourses workspace of the course. MyCourses is an online workspace with information and materials on the course. You can access MyCourses here.
You will find Aalto University’s course offerings at courses.aalto.fi. Please read the course description carefully before registering to the course to find out possible prerequisites and restrictions on offered seats.
It would be ideal if you have the possibility to confirm beforehand with your home university that you can transfer the credits from Aalto to your home university afterwards. Please contact your home university about this matter.
IT services for students
After you have activated your Aalto user ID, you have access to the IT environment and services at Aalto. All services are collected here.
- There are computer classrooms for students around campus, for example, in Otakaari 1. See more information in the above link under “Computer classrooms”. Computer classrooms can be used without reservation unless there is ongoing teaching.
- Software downloads are available for home use, please see more information here.
Aalto University campus is located in Otaniemi, Espoo, about 10 kilometres from the centre of Helsinki, which can be reached by metro and bus directly to the campus. Please find our campus map here.
- Aalto Space: to navigate on campus, uppload Aalto Space app
- Learning center: Harald Herlin Learning Centre offers library services as well as study and work spaces. In the learning center you can find eg. Study rooms without reservation. Please see instructions how to get a library card here.
- Self-study facilities: besides computer classrooms and library facilities you can also book other facilities for self-study and group work. Reservation is possible in Aalto Space app.
- Eating on campus: there are several lunch restaurants and two supermarkets on campus offering a broad range of different types of foods.
Public transportation around the capital area (Espoo, Helsinki, Vantaa etc) is organized by HSL.
Support services for students – Starting point of wellbeing
The Starting Point of Wellbeing offers advice and guidance related to wellbeing in studies. Starting point of wellbeing is a drop-in service (located in Otakaari 1) so you don’t need to book an appointment in advance. Services are available both online and on campus. The following services are available:
- Study psychologists
- Guidance councellor
- Aalto chaplains
Schedule of appointments is available here. Study groups and workshops are also available. However, please note that appointment times outside the Starting point are not available to non-degree students.
Aalto Career Services offer career design and job search related services and councelling. On this page you can find general information, self-service materials, workshops and councelling contacts etc. Most of the services are also available to non-degree students. If not, it is mentioned on the information.
Unisport is a student sport service with facilities on Otaniemi campus and around the capital area. Ukrainian non-degree students can use UniSport services free of charge during the duration of their studies in Aalto University (max 12 months). Upon registration at a UniSport service desk (Otaniemi, Kumpula & Kluuvi), please take your student status certificate of you study right in Aalto University with you.
Please see more information on Unisport on their website.
Other study opportunities
Besides the course offer in Aalto, you can also pursue studies free of charge in the Open University.
For more information and guidance on your studies at Aalto, please contact the study advisor of your School or [email protected].