Aalto Materials Digitalization Platform - AMAD
Benefits and uses
AMAD lets the user seamlessly incorporate data into their notebooks, process and visualize it. An intuitive permission system allows notebooks and their data to be shared with collaborators. By using AMAD, scientists and researchers can:
- Plan and organize their work
- Import, manage and share their data
- Prepare data for long-term storage
- Carry out analysis
- Write up experimental and theoretical results
- Apply machine-learning tools
Features and components
- AMAD infrastructure currently includes the following key components:
- An electronic lab notebook, designed to annotate, store and share scientific data. Unlike most digital notebook solutions that primarily focus on storing information as provided by the users, AMAD parses all data uploaded into notebooks and stores it in records using a unified built-in format. Data records can be quickly referenced and shared across multiple notebooks or downloaded in any convenient format.
- A limited set of analysis tools, offering flexible and modular libraries that can be used in a wide variety of use cases.
- A flexible user management system capable of organizing the user base into groups and projects with varying levels of access and administrative powers.
- A data management infrastructure where notebooks, data, and analysis results can be seamlessly shared, referenced by other notebooks, and exported while preserving metadata and ontologies. Metadata provides a structured reference to sort and identify the information while ontologies represent the data using a set of concepts and categories to show how its various properties are related. Both are crucial for machine learning and data science applications.
- Internet-connected device (laptop, mobile phone, tablet, etc.)
- Web browser (Firefox/Chrome/Edge/Safari depending on your OS)
How do I get started?
Go to https://amad.aalto.fi/, click on the 'Aalto Login' button and log in using your Aalto user credentials. (AMAD is open to the public. If you don't have an Aalto user account, visit the AMAD registration page, sign up, validate your email, and you are good to go.)
- Check out the user guide on creating and sharing your first notebook.
- Encourage your colleagues and collaborators to start using AMAD as well!
In case you need support in using AMAD or have any question about it, do not hesitate to contact us at:
Also you can contact the project responsibles directly to learn more about the service, provide feedback and suggest new bespoke features:
AMAD accessibility statement
The development of the Aalto Materials Digitalization Platform has been partly funded with support from the Academy of Finland.