School of Business

School of Business Graduates in Working Life

Our Master's graduates are highly successful in finding jobs corresponding to their education, and receive a good salary. On this page you'll find information about the placement and career development of our graduates.
Opiskelijoita käytävällä. Kuva: Aalto-yliopisto / Aino Huovio
Photo: Aalto University / Aino Huovio

Career monitoring surveys

Aalto University School of Business Career Services follows the labour market situation of our master's degree graduates one year after graduation and career development five years after graduation. Career development monitoring is conducted as a part of a national survey on academic graduates with the Aarresaari Career Services network representing 13 Finnish Universities.

The placement survey one year after graduation is our own survey for master's graduates, and most of the information on this page is based on data from this survey. The information on this page comes from our masters who graduated in 2016 or 2020.

Graduate profile

In 2020 about half our graduates were female (51%) and half of them were male (49%). Of the graduates 10% were international. The average age of the graduates was 28.

graduats satisfaction with degree
mean and median salary

Of our students, 80% found employment before graduation

According to the placement survey, 80% of our students found employment before completing their studies. One year after graduation 93% of graduates were employed or were entrepreneurs. The remaining 7% includes postgraduate students, those in another master's degree and those, who are still looking for employment.

11% works abroad, 89% in Finland

Of the employed graduates, 89% found employment in Finland and 11% abroad. Of those who worked abroad, majority worked around Europe.

most popular titles

New graduates of Aalto University School of Business report working under more than a hundred different job titles. Above, you can see examples of some of the more common job titles.

Most graduates work at a large company

Majority of the graduates of Aalto University School of Business find employment in large (54%) and small & medium sized (34%) companies. Some of the graduates get employed by the state (3%) or university (4%). Of the graduates, 5% get employed by other entities or employ themselves. Some examples of our graduates' employers are shown below.

Our graduates' employers

Most popular industries

School of Business graduates get employed in a wide range of industries. The most popular industries include consultancy (23%), IT & telecom (15%) and finance (14%).

biz students' fields

Social media is the most popular channel for job search

For our graduates, the most popular channels to find employment are social media (e.g. LinkedIn) (38%) and personal contacts and networks (27%). Job portals such as Aalto JobTeaser (21%) and Oikotie/Monster etc (21%) were preferred more than organizations' own websites (20%).

ways to find first employment
Most important skills in working life

Most important skills in working life

The picture on the left presents five skills the respondents need the most in their current job, according to results of the career development survey conducted five years after graduation in 2020.

The respondents also considered many other skills important, for example
•    communication in English
•    organization and coordination skills
•    stress tolerance
•    project management skills
•    information retrieval skills
•    ICT skills
•    Knowledge of the basics of business/ financial administration
•    public speaking skills
•    networking skills
•    negotiation skills
•    communication in Finnish
•    acting in a multicultural environment


More information about the career surveys

Tanja Makkonen

Tanja Makkonen

Senior Manager, Career Services
people sitting

Aalto University graduates successfully employed

Nationwide career monitoring survey starts on 3rd of October. All 2017 master's graduates and 2019 doctoral graduates will be invited to participate in the survey.

School of Business students sitting

School of Business alumni stories

Here you can find School of Business alumni stories. Our alumni share their professional journeys and give advice and tips regarding working life. The stories have been sorted based on the alumni's majors. The newest publications are placed first in the major groups.

School of Business
Opiskelijoita Kauppakorkeakoululla. Kuva: Aalto-yliopisto / Roope Kiviranta

The MSc degree in Business is appreciated in the labour market, say recent School of Business graduates

Responses to career monitoring surveys will also be carefully taken into account in the development of teaching.

Otakaari 1

Aalto University graduates in working life

Aalto University Career Services follows the career development and labor market situation of their alumni.

  • Published:
  • Updated:
URL copied!