Aalto University Information Technology Program (ITP) is a minor program (24 ECTS) that is completed during the summer period (3 months). It brings students together from diverse backgrounds and all around the world to solve digital business problems.
FAQ: Information Technology Program (ITP)
Click on a topic to open the related ITP FAQ!
When can I apply to ITP?
- The application period to ITP is open each Spring starting in January and ending early April. The application period for the ITP 2023 ends on Friday, April 7, 2023, at 23:59 (Finnish local time).
What does the program cost?
- ITP is free of charge for tuition waiver students who are students from Aalto University, students from Finnish universities under the JOO mobility agreement and students from Aalto University School of Business partner institutions under a current exchange agreement.
- The tuition fee for the 3-month program is 4200€ (incl. VAT 24 %). The tuition fee does not cover travel, accommodation, or living costs in the Helsinki Area.
What qualifications do you look for in an applicant?
- Each student applicant must have completed 60 ECTS in BSc degree when applying to the program.
Is ITP limited to specific major studies?
- We do not specify which majors are most suitable, as we acknowledge that terrific talent may arise from the most unexpected places. Motivation and interest towards ITP however is a must.
I am a student from XXXX University, can I apply to ITP?
- Yes, you can apply. The tuition fee may be applied. Check the Application Groups from the Application Guidelines page.
I am a student from a University of Applied Sciences (AMK), can I apply to ITP?
- Yes, you can apply in the Applicant Group 2 category. The tuition fee will be applied and it is 4200 € (incl. VAT 24%).
I am already in a working life, can I apply to ITP?
- Yes, you can apply in the Applicant Group 2 category. The tuition fee will be applied and it is 4200 € (incl. VAT 24%). Also, notice that ITP is full-time studies during the summer period.
Where can I get the recommendation for the JOO permission?
- Please contact your own university’s study coordinators. Students applying according to the JOO mobility agreement will have to get the recommendation for the JOO-permission from their own university’s study office. If your home university does not use the electronic JOO permission system, please attach the original copy of the recommendation (mandatory) to the ITP application. Aalto University School of Business Study Office does not provide recommendations for students from other universities.
How soon can I expect to hear from the result of my application?
- You can apply to ITP in three sections and thus get selected in the program already at the beginning of the year. By applying before the last selection period, you maximize your chances of being selected. Notice that the ITP team is available in solving technical challenges during weekdays at 9-16.
- The selection of the student assessment for applications received by January 31, 2023, will be given no later than February 5, 2023. Selected students can confirm their participation in the program until February 15, 2023.
- The selection of the student assessment for applications received during February 1-28, 2023, will be given no later than March 5, 2023. Selected students can confirm their participation in the program until March 15, 2023.
- The selection of the student assessment for applications received during March 1 – April 1, 2023, will be given no later than April 15, 2023. Selected students can confirm their participation in the program until April 25, 2023. The selection of the students who applied by April 22nd will be given no later than April 29, 2023.
I’m having technical difficulties with the online application portal. Who can help me?
- In case you are having a problem, please contact us.
Can I update my application or correct an error after submission?
- Once you have submitted the application, there is no way to update it afterwards. Please contact us for further instructions.
Is there anyone I can follow up with to check the status of my application or reiterate my interest?
- In all questions regarding application, doubts and concerns, please contact us.
If I am accepted to ITP, am I obliged to attend?
- Once offered a place on ITP, you will have 10 days to confirm your student place and attendance. After this, it is no longer possible to drop out without a heavy reason.
How many students can be accepted into the program?
- The maximum intake is 90 students and 30 per track.
When does the program start and end?
- ITP runs yearly during the summer period. The program lasts for 14 weeks, and the dates for 2023 are May 29th – September 1st.
Where will the lectures be held?
- The lectures will be held on at the Aalto University Otaniemi Campus throughout the summer, in the School of Business building at Ekonominaukio 1
What time are the courses lectured?
- Courses are lectured on weekdays between 9.00 and 12.00.
Is attendance mandatory in ITP courses?
- Yes, attendance is mandatory in the courses, in the project meetings with the partners and in other events arranged by ITP, excluding social events.
Can I work during ITP?
- ITP requires a full-time commitment. Due to the company project, the daily workload is between 8 and 11 hours throughout the summer. We strongly recommend NOT working during your studies on ITP. The overall workload may become too much.
Can I take only one course from ITP?
- Unfortunately, you cannot. ITP is a program, which consists of four different courses: three lectured courses and one project course. Students can only participate in the whole program in one of the specialization tracks, not in individual courses.
Will I collaborate with other students from other tracks?
- Mainly you will be closely working with your own track’s students and your own project team. However, in some events evolving ITP as a whole, you may get a chance to collaborate with other tracks’ students.
Will different tracks share the same lectures or projects?
- Yes and no. You will complete three courses which are track-specific and there will only be your track’s students. However, each track shares the Business Project course which includes some lectures or workshops that are directed to all the ITP students regardless of their track.
- What comes to the projects, there might be two teams from different tracks sharing the same project topic. However, mostly there is only one project team working with the project topic in one track.
How is the project team composed? Who is on my team?
- You will have only fellow track students in your team. You will be 3-6 students with diverse backgrounds. ITP staff will build the teams before the start of the program. You will be asked to fill in a questionnaire where you can share your personality traits and interests so ITP staff can find you the best suitable teammates. Also, the team will be composed according to the project topic and project partner’s needs.
Does Aalto University provide housing if I do not live in Helsinki?
- Although Aalto University cannot make a promise of student housing for ITP applicants, ITP staff are more than happy to help students with finding accommodation in Helsinki. However, the student pays the cost of the accommodation, living and travels.
Does Aalto University School of Business provide scholarships or other financial aid?
- Aalto University School of Business does not provide any scholarships or other financial aid for ITP studies. Students are required to pay for books and other course materials. ITP will help exchange students with finding accommodation if needed. However, the student pays the living costs.
Click on a topic to open the related ITP FAQ!
When is the application period open for business projects?
- ITP is actively looking for projects for the next summer from November until the end of April.
Will we receive help in defining the project topic / challenge?
- Yes. ITP program manager and coordinators (ITP staff) are happy to help design the most value-adding and beneficial challenge that matches ITP’s digital business areas and for the students.
When will the projects start?
- All the projects start on week 22. In 2023, they will start on May 29th. The Kick-Off for the projects is on the same week.
How do we start the collaboration with the student team?
- On week 22, you will have a Kick-Off meeting with ITP staff and your project’s ITP team. There you will present the project topic, get to know each other and agree with the next steps. The next meeting with the project team will take place already during the next week or the following week (week 24). Then the team will present you the Project Plan for the summer.
Who are our primary contacts from ITP during the summer?
- Your primary contact from the ITP team is one of the ITP coordinators. Your project will be included under one of the ITP’s specialization tracks and there is one coordinator for each track. The primary contact is thus the coordinator whose track your project belongs to. Of course, you can always be in contact with any one from the ITP staff team.
- The primary contacts from the student team are agreed with the team. Most probably there is one person responsible for the communication between the team and you as a partner.
Will the ITP company projects be ready on time?
- Yes. ITP staff will coordinate the company projects and deadlines, so that the project is ready when the program ends.
What will we receive from the project?
- You will receive a thorough project report and a final presentation where the results are presented. Also, you get research-based and validated solution concepts for the given challenge. The student team will be able to provide you with innovative thinking outside of the project organization and applied knowledge from industry and academia. They will work like an IT consultancy team during the summer.
What is the result of the project?
- Your challenge will be solved and you will be provided with concrete research-based recommendations how to proceed from now on. Depending on the project topic, you may also get a prototype. There will also be a thorough project report to cover all the most important information for the future developments.
Do you have examples of project outcomes?
- Yes, you may view our previous years' business projects here.
Will we sign a contract with Aalto University?
- Yes. We will sign a collaboration agreement as soon as we have agreed with the project topic.
Are the company projects public?
- If the company wishes to do the project under an NDA agreement, then no. ITP does not publish or use any project related materials without permission from the company.
Can we do a project which involves confidential material?
- Yes. The students and ITP faculty all sign a non-disclosure agreement with ITP. The students can also sign a non-disclosure agreement with the partner if needed. An NDA section is also included in the collaboration agreement with Aalto University. Aalto complies with the Act on the Openness of Government Activities and the university is also tied with the duty of secrecy by default.
How can I participate as a company representative in ITP courses?
- Company representatives can participate in ITP courses according to the rules of the agreement between their respective companies and ITP. Please contact us for a participation agreement for your company.
Did we leave something unanswered? Contact us!
ITP is a multidisciplinary summer minor program (24 ECTS) centered on digital business. It brings students together from diverse backgrounds and all around the world to solve digital business problems.