What are Aalto Platforms?
The Platforms facilitate joint efforts to tackle scientific and societal challenges requiring systemic and integrative approaches beyond the capabilities of an individual department. They provide a single contact point for their area in which researchers are typically employed by several Departments.
- is open to all researchers at Aalto University,
- supports interaction with Aalto University's stakeholders,
- facilitates networking and joint efforts,
- provides a forum for recently recruited professors to create local networks,
- leverages Aalto University’s research excellence in our focus areas,
- enhances multidisciplinary research,
- supports tackling challenges beyond reach of one single department,
- increases resilience of Finland by supporting the capability to change and adopt to new challenges,
- follows the field and identifies weak signals by suggesting foresight activities and giving expert’s opinions,
- has high transparency and minimal bureaucracy: core academic activities and funding remain at Aalto University Schools and Departments,
- has a board that consists of Professors from all Aalto University Schools, Chair (Aalto University Professor) and Manager (doctoral level expert).
What's in it for me?
- Expand your collaboration network: meet people inside and outside Aalto and in companies
- Participate on the networking events for free, to hear the latest developments
- Participate in multidisciplinary research collaboration networks to get impact and visibility for your own research
- Get involved in policy making
- Open your eyes for new ideas, and get feedback for your own ideas
- Apply for seed funding: join larger multidisciplinary research consortia to get external funding
- Suggest new event topics and modes of operation, and get help in coordination activities
The Platforms deliver Aalto University's Joint Strategic Funding for supporting multidisciplinary, cross-School collaboration. This Seed funding is targeted at external funding application preparation, internal mobility or multidisciplinary openings. The call is opened once a year, in the spring and in the autumn.
More information on platforms
Manager: Krisztina Cziner, [email protected]
Manager: Samuel Cross, [email protected]
Manager: Markus Ahola, [email protected]
Manager: Markus Mäkelä, [email protected]
Manager: Heidi Henrickson, [email protected]
Manager: Aija Staffans, [email protected]
Coordination and contact for general platform enquiries
Head of Platform Services
Head of Research Strategic Support