Destination Databases and exchange reports
You can do your exchange at one of your school's destinations. That means that you can apply for an exchange through the school in which you are enrolled as a degree student. Students in Aalto schools of technology can also apply for the other schools of technology exchange destinations. The students of School of Arts, Design and Architecture can only apply to destinations which are open for their own degree programme/major.
- You can apply for destinations which are available (active) in the Destination Database during the application period, and which are available for your preferred exchange semester.
- If you wish to apply to a university that is not a partner university, you should apply as a free mover student.
Student exchange is based on inter-institutional student mobility agreements between Aalto University and partner universities abroad. The agreements enable Aalto's degree students to study in the partner university without having to pay tuition fees. Agreements are usually made for specific fields of study, which determines what you can study in each partner university.
Students who are doing their degree and living in a country other than their home country can apply for exchange and get the Erasmus+ mobility grant for an exchange in their home country (in countries participating in the Erasmus+ programme). However in such cases, students from other countries come first in the selection process.
When selecting the exchange destination
- Go to your school's Destination Database (links above). The Destination Database has information on available student exchange destinations and on the number of open places in each destination. Information in the Database is updated by the beginning of each application round. The Destination Database also has reports written by previous Aalto exchange students. Older reports are available in wiki.
- Make sure the university you are considering offers courses which are suitable for your degree in Aalto and are the degree level you wish to study, i.e. bachelor's or master's.
- Check that the exchange agreement covers the field you would like to study.
- Make sure you have the required language skills to take the courses. Check also the language requirements on the application instructions page.
- Ensure that you fulfill other admission requirements set by the host university.