National Declaration, Policies and Recommendations of Open Science and Reasearch
Declaration for Open Science and Research 2020 - 2025
The Finnish research community has jointly created a Declaration for Open Science and Research. The declaration was approved in 2019. Aalto University has signed the declaration.
The declaration provides a common direction for the development of the research community and defines four strategic objectives that specify how openness will become part of the daily life of researchers and scientists. The goals are defined by the research community for:
- research culture
- open access to research publications,
- open access to research data and methods; and
- open education and educational resources as promoted by the research community.
By agreeing to clear common principles and practices to promote open science and research, the research community has created a space where science and research can remain independent of external influences.
The declaration is also the joint response of the Finnish research community to international open science and research policies. International developments affect the Finnish research community in various international organizations and activities.
Policies of Open Science and Research in Finland
Policies of open science and research in Finland outline in detail the strategic principles, objectives and action plans necessary to achieve the objectives set out in the Declaration for Open Science and Research.
The policies are and will be drafted for four areas: culture for open scholarship, open access to scholarly publications, open access of research data and methods, and open education and open access to educational resources.
Policy for Open Scholarship
Policy for Open Access to Research Data and Methods
- Open research data and methods. National policy and executive plan by the higher education and research community for 2021–2025. Policy component 1: Open access to research data
- Ready in autumn 2022: Policy component 2: Research methods and infrastructure
Policy for Open Access to Scholarly Publications
- Open access to scholarly publications – National policy and executive plan by the research community in Finland for 2020–2025: Policy component for open access to journal and conference articles
- Ready in autumn 2022: Policy components 2: Monographs and student theses
Policy for the Open Education and Educational Resources
- Open education and educational resources. National policy and executive plan by the higher education and research community for 2021-2025. Policy component 1 – Open access to educational resources
- At planning stage: policy component on open educational practices
Recommendations of Open Science and Research in Finland
Here are a list of recommendations created in Finnish Open science coordination and a links to those recommendations that have been translated in English.
Recommendations on Open Scholarship
- Good practice in researcher evaluation. Recommendation for the responsible evaluation of a researcher in Finland (2020)
- National recommendation on the responsible use of publication metrics (2020)
Recommendations on Open access to research data and methods
- The use of Persistent Identifiers for Research Datasets (2019)
- Ownership and licencing of research data (2019)
- Additional instructions for planning the management of sensitive and confidential data (2019)
Recommendations on Open Access to scholarly publications
- Guidelines to scholarly publishers for creation of responsible datapolicy (2020)
- Guidelines to researchers and scholarly publishers for open licensing (2020)
- Recommendations on Open Access to scholarly publications for research organisations (2020)
- In development: Recommendations for funders
- In development: Recommendations on technologies and technical issues
Recommendations on Open Education
- Recommendation for publishing open educational resources (2020)
Have a look at other national open science policies and recommendations
National Open Scholarship Policy
Finland is one of the first countries to publish an open scholarship policy in 2022. The policy includes, among others, recommendations for citizen science (in Finnish, will be published in English later) and business collaboration (in Finnish, will be published in English later).
Citizen science and citizens’ participation have developed as models of scientific research conducted by non-professional scientists, following scientifically valid methodologies and frequently carried out in association with professional scientists with web-based platforms and social media.
Recommendation on Business Collaboration
Open Science Recommendation and Checklist for Collaborative Research, Development and Innovation in Research Organizations and Business .