Language and communication studies

Language Certificates

Language Certificates

The Language Centre teachers issue language certificates only to Aalto University students who need to verify that their language proficiency is sufficient for exchange studies or for a study-related work placement abroad. The language certificates of the Language Centre do not currently evaluate language proficiency using the proficiency levels of the CEFR framework.

The Language Centre gives the following certificates for these exchange or internship programmes: ERASMUS, ISEP and AIESTE. For other types of certificates, such as language tests (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.), please contact external service providers.

If you need an English language certificate

If you need a language certificate evaluating your English spoken skills, first consider which of the options below best describes your current situation and what action you should take:

  1. If you have not taken any of the Aalto Language Centre English courses, you can book an appointment time in MyCourses under the English Language Certificate Service with one of our teachers for a brief interview.
  2. If you are in the middle of taking one of our courses (i.e. it is not yet completed), you may ask your course teacher to write out the certificate for you. It is up to him/her if they would still like to separately assess your spoken skills (through an interview) before writing out the certificate.
  3. If the CEFR level is required for your exchange and you have already completed one of our English courses recently, please contact [email protected] to request a statement of course attendance and course required CEFR level (B2). 

NBRequests for language certificates should be sent by email only.

BIZ students going for exchange should contact [email protected] for language certificates. 

Feedback about the page

  • Published:
  • Updated: