Information on Aalto Mikkeli Campus
Welcome to Aalto Mikkeli!
Dear Exchange Student,
We warmly welcome you to join the Bachelor’s Programme in International Business (BScBA Programme) of the Aalto University School of Business in Mikkeli. From this page, you can find information to help you to enjoy your stay in Finland and Mikkeli as much as possible.
The Aalto University School of Business, Mikkeli Campus offers exchange students an excellent opportunity to study in an international environment. Mikkeli Campus has a wide network of partner universities all over the world and as an active exchange partner with our partners, Mikkeli Campus receives about 60-70 exchange students from abroad each year to study in the BScBA Programme. These international students make valuable contributions to the dynamic international programme in Mikkeli.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
1. Nomination by the Home University
Students have to be first accepted to our exchange programme by their home university in order to be accepted as exchange students at Aalto University School of Business, Mikkeli Campus (BScBA Programme). Aalto University School of Business accepts exchange students only from its network of partner universities. Please contact the local coordinator at your home university for further information.
The nominations should be sent to Aalto Mikkeli Campus via e-mail ([email protected]) by the nomination deadlines:
- Fall semester 2023 and Academic Year 2023-2024: 19 May 2023
- Spring semester 2024: 29 September 2023
- Winter studies 2024: 31 October 2023
- Summer studies 2024: 29 February 2024
The required information for the nominations: students’ full name, date of birth, nationality, gender and e-mail address.
2. Application Process for the Exchange Students
After the nomination from the partner university, Aalto Mikkeli Campus will contact the nominated students by e-mail and provide the information on the online application process. If you have questions about the exchange process or you have a technical problem, please contact: [email protected].
The application period for the academic year 2023-2024:
- Fall semester 2023 and academic year 2023-2024: 25 April - 19 June 2023
- Spring semester 2024: 1 September - 13 October 2023
- Winter studies 2024: 1 September - 15 November 2023
- Summer studies 2024: 12 February - 18 March 2024
The link to the online application form for the spring semester 2024 and winter studies 2024 exchange students is now open and you can access it from here.
- You need to register yourself into the system.
- The application form consists of 7 pages. After you have filled in and also uploaded the required documents, you submit the application.
- Note! When adding the mobile number to the application, use the international mode.
- The required attachments are (all the documents can be uploaded to the application):
a. Curriculum Vitae
b. Official Transcript of Records from Home University
c. Preliminary Study Plan: You need to fill in a form and link to the form is in the application form (Information on the courses can be found from the Course schedule for exchange students 2023-2024. You can find the course schedule from below.)
d. Portrait Photograph
e. Certificate of English Proficiency from Home University or Copy of IELTS or TOEFL Test Score Report. Because English is the language of instruction, it is essential that all participants are prepared to understand rapid, idiomatic English as spoken in lectures and group discussions. Students also are expected to be able to read English with ease and to express their thoughts clearly in spoken and written English. We expect the exchange students to have at least level B2 in English in the Common European Framework. The expected level of English Proficiency is equivalent to IELTS 6.5 (total) and TOEFL 87 (total).
COURSES AT AALTO MIKKELI
At Aalto Mikkeli, the courses are organized in intensive three weeks modules and in each module, the students are studying one course five days a week, three hours a day. All the course related work will be done during the module and there are no separate exam periods. Below you can find the course schedule for exchange students document, where you can find the course description and learning outcomes for the courses we offer for exchange students.
All the courses in our programme are worth of 6 ECTS credits. There are 45 contact hours (including exams) and the calculated student working hours per course are 160 h.
STUDY PLANS COMPLETED ON SISU
All Aalto students need to create a personal study plan (PSP or HOPS in Finnish) with the student register system Sisu. Please note that you can register only for the courses in your personal study plan agreed and confirmed by you and exchange coordinator. In case of changes, you must always contact exchange coordinator to agree on changes. Also, if there would be changes to the course schedule, the students will be informed by the staff by email to agree on new arrangements for the study plan.
Please note that the procedures and instructions for the Mikkeli campus students will be somewhat different than for the Otaniemi campus students. You should only add courses offered at the Mikkeli Campus to your study plan.
STUDY PLAN PROCESS FOR THE MIKKELI CAMPUS EXCHANGE STUDENTS
Please follow the process below for
1. completing your study plan proposal (added to your exchange application during the application period),
2. preparing your study plan on Sisu according to the approved study plan, and
3. completing your course registrations on Sisu.
1. Complete your study plan proposal
You complete your preliminary study plan proposal already during the application process. The proposal will be checked after the application period and the courses are confirmed. After you get the confirmation from the staff by email for your course list and your study right is opened on Sisu, you can make your study plan and register for the courses on Sisu. Instructions for the course registration process are below.
2. Create your study plan on Sisu according to the approved study plan
On Sisu, the drafting of the study plan begins by going to the Structure of studies page when logged in as Student user role:
- You first select the education for which the study plan is drafted from the My educations tab. If you only have one right to study, it will be preselected. Mikkeli campus incoming exchange students need to choose: BIZ exchange studies + for the Learning opportunity: Exchange studies, International Business, Mikkeli.
- As a rule, the current academic year or curriculum period is selected in the curriculum period. You can give the study plan a descriptive name if you wish. After clicking Create a plan the study plan draft opens for editing.
- The study plan is modified by clicking the banner "Exchange studies, International business, Mikkeli" and then selecting the courses in your approved study plan in the right-hand pop-up window.
- Search the courses for which you have been granted a right to study: Add to the plan > find courses by name or by code. Adding and completing other studies than those that you have right to study is not allowed. The study drafts or the free edit mode are not used by the exchange students.
- If you draft several study plans, make sure that the primary study plan is always the one through which you will register for courses.
3. Course registrations
After you have completed your study plan on Sisu, you also need to register for courses. At Aalto University, the basic requirements for registration for courses include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. You have a valid right to study at Aalto University.
2. You have enrolled as an attending student.
3. You have added the course for which you are registering to your primary study plan PSP, i.e. the PSP which matches your current right to study.
How to register for courses – quick guide
- Add the courses in your approved study plan/course list to your primary study plan on Sisu.
- In your primary study plan, click the code of the course in which you want to register for. NOTE. You need to start the process from your primary study plan!
- Go to the Completion methods tab and choose the method (participation in teaching). NOTE: A) If there are several teaching groups for the course, choose the correct one marked in your approved study plan/course list (e.g. Intercultural Management). B) Check that you have selected the correct academic year: "Version". C)You can only register for the courses in your approved study plan/course list.
- Click the Proceed to enrol link in the pop-up window at the top of the page.
- Click the Register button
- Answer any compulsory questions
- Click the Confirm button
You have now registered for the course. Your registration will be confirmed by the staff at latest at the end of the registration period. An explanation of the registration status appears in your study calendar.
In Aalto Mikkeli Campus, the academic year is divided into 15 three-weeks modules and there are courses also during the summer.
The academic year starts on 1 August and ends on 31 July each year.
Important dates for incoming exchange students
Fall semester 2023
- Exchange students' orientation sessions in last week of August (21 - 25 August 2023)
- Recommended date of arrival: during the weekend, 19 - 20 August 2023
- Courses start on Monday, 28 August 2023
- Courses end on Friday, 8 December 2023
- Lectures cancelled due to a public holiday: Independence Day, 6 December 2023
Spring semester 2024
- Exchange student orientation sessions in January 2024 (dates to be confirmed)
- Recommended date of arrival: During the weekend, 6 - 7 January 2024
- Courses start on Monday, 8 January 2024
- Courses end on Friday, 17 May 2024
- Spring break: 1 - 5 April 2024
- Lectures cancelled due to a public holiday: Easter Friday, 29 March, Easter Monday, 1 April, May Day, 1 May and Ascension Day, 9 May 2024
Summer studies 2024
- Exchange student orientation sessions upon arrival
- Recommended date of arrival: At latest during the weekend before the course starts
- Exchange students can study 1-4 courses during the summer and stay up to 13 weeks
- During the summer 2024 courses start every three weeks: 20 May, 10 June, 1 July and 29 July 2024
- Summer break: 22 - 26 July 2024
- Lectures cancelled due to a public holiday: Midsummer Eve, 21 June 2024
Mikkeli Student Housing Ltd. (MOAS) provides the student housing in Mikkeli in various locations and the closes ones to Aalto Mikkeli Campus are located in Raviradantie MOAS 1-7. These apartments in Raviradantie are all within the 15 min walk from the university campus and city center.
In general, student apartments are either single or shared apartments. A single apartment consists of a room including basic furniture, kitchen corner and a bathroom. Shared apartments consist of individual lockable bedrooms, a shared kitchen (table and chairs provided) and bathroom. There are common laundry rooms and saunas available for tenants.
The renting period usually starts either 1st or 16th of the month and ends either 15th or last day of the month. Note! In general, the shortest renting period is one month, so if you are coming to Aalto Mikkeli for just one module (three weeks), you need to rent the apartment at least for one month. The rent will be approx. 310 euro for shared apartment and approx. 430 euro upwards for single apartment. However, there may be some variation in the rents due to different locations and size.
- The rent includes basic furniture, electricity, water, internet connection and the fee for using laundry and sauna.
- Basic furniture: bed with a mattress, table and chair, drawers, lamps, shades.
- Kitchenware, blankets and pillows are not included. You can either bring the bedlinen with you or buy them from Mikkeli after arrival. Dishes, "survival kit", can be rent from the student organization Probba for affordable price!
You can fill your application on MOAS website.
- You do not need to send the certificate of your student status to MOAS. Aalto Mikkeli Campus will confirm your exchange student status to MOAS beforehand.
- Be sure to write your e-mail address correctly to the application form because MOAS will send you an e-mail when they have an apartment reserved for you. The e-mail includes instructions for paying the deposit Fee (IBAN and SWIFT). You have approx. one-week time to confirm the reservation to MOAS and pay the deposit fee. Without a reply, you will lose the reserved apartment and your application will not be on the waiting list anymore.
- Deposit fees: 300 euro for shared apartment and single apartment.
Receiving the key
In most cases, you can get the key earliest on the day when your tenancy agreement begins. A new tenant will receive the key from the area janitor at the apartment. You will need to contact the area janitor about a week before and agree on a date for the hand over. Generally, keys are handed over at the earliest from 12 noon on the start date of the lease, ONLY on weekdays (Mon-Fri) between 8am and 4pm. If the tenancy period begins during the weekend or on a public holiday, you can get the key on the following business day. A new tenant must be prepared to prove his/her identity with a photo (passport or identity card).
MOAS office is open Mon – Thu 9.00 – 15.00, Fri (and public holiday eves) 9.00 – 13.00. The office is located on Maaherrankatu 44.
The exceptions in regular opening hours will be informed on MOAS website.
For more information visit MOAS website.