International students

After graduation

On this page you will find useful information about what to do as an international student once your graduation is behind the corner and you want to stay in Finland. If you do not have a job yet, don’t worry – there are many things you can do to improve your chances of landing one!

Loading table of contents

Welcome to the Aalto alumni community

After graduation, you are officially an Aalto alum – you do not need to register anywhere to be part of the community and benefit from your alum status! However, it is important to update your contact information so we can keep you in the loop about upcoming events and opportunities that could benefit you. 

As a graduate, we warmly invite you to join Aalto Alumni Community on LinkedIn to connect with fellow almni, seek advice and into a network of professionals. Furthermore, you can participate in the activities of one of our numerous alumni societies.

If you have any questions on alumni matters, please contact [email protected].

Graduation Party 2022

For alumni

As an alum, you are part of Aalto community. Let's stay connected and develop together!

Better Business - Better Society seminar in December 2019, School of Business alumni networking after the seminar

For School of Business alumni

The School of Business alumni community offers possibilities for lifewide learning, networking and contributing to our School's mission: Better Business - Better Society. Join our alumni community!

School of Business

Residence permits

After graduation, if you have a job in Finland you can apply for a work permit on the basis of a degree completed in Finland. If your current permit is a residence permit for studies and it has not expired, you can already start working while waiting for the decision on the work-based residence permit. You may work without restrictions during this time.

If you do not have a job after graduation, you can apply for a residence permit to look for work or to start a business. If your previous study permit is still valid when applying for the next permit, you don’t need to leave Finland while waiting for the decision. If you leave the country after graduation and your study permit expires, you can still apply for the residence permit to look for work in Finland as long as 5 years after graduation. The permit can be granted for a maximum of 2 years, given that you have sufficient funds for living in Finland (at least 560 €/month). If you are working part-time for example, your salary is taken into account when counting the funds.

If your studies are not yet finished and your study permit is about to expire, you usually have two options. If you have completed all the needed courses for your degree, you can already apply for the extended residence permit on the basis of looking for work. Once you get your degree certificate, you can submit it as an attachment to your residence permit application. However, if you have not finished all your study courses and your graduation is not likely to happen within the next 1-3 months, you should apply for an extension on your study permit.

You can read more information about the different residence permit types on the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) website.

Employment services

If you don’t have a job in Finland after graduation, it is advisable to register as a jobseeker. This will give you access to public employment services, and you might also become entitled to unemployment benefits depending on your residence status and previous work experience. You can register as a jobseeker by filling in and submitting an electronic form to the TE Office (the public employment services in Finland). For help and advice, you can also visit, call or email the TE Office’s service desk at International House Helsinki.

After you have registered as a jobseeker, you will be forwarded to the employment services of your municipality. Please read more about them below:

Employment Espoo

Helsinki Employment Services

Vantaa Employment Services

Job search and career development

If you don’t have a job upon graduation, do not worry as there are many support services available for you both through Aalto University and other organizations in our network. Most of these services are free to use and do not require you to register as an unemployed jobseeker. The services help you in job search, career development and creating a professional network and social community, so that you can ultimately stay in Finland and build your life in the Helsinki capital region.


Career Design Lab

Shaping sustainable and meaningful careers

Henkilö istuu merinäkoalan edessä kuulokkeet päässä ja selaa tablettia hymyillen

Lifewide Learning

Aalto University Lifewide Learning helps you develop your skills in an ever-changing environment.

Trade unions and employee rights

Feedback about the page

  • Published:
  • Updated: