ALL-CELL: From ultra-light to ultra-strong all-cellulose composites via green processing
In all-cellulose composites cellulose matrix is reinforced with cellulosic fibers via their partial dissolution. Chemical similarity of the components allow near perfect adhesion between the matrix and reinforcing fibers resulting in strong self-reinforced composite, which are fully bio-based, biocompatible and biodegradable.
- Various potential applications such as packaging, bio-medical or structural composites and insulation
- Lightweight all-cellulose aerogels and cryogels will enlarge the family of porous and strong cellulose materials
The main focus of the project:
- All-cellulose composites via short fiber dispersion approach
- All-cellulose composites via partial dissolution method
The project is financed by Business Finland and supported by Stora Enso Oyj and UPM-Kymmene Oyj. Separation Research Oy Ab and Fibertus Oy are cooperating.
- Oona Korhonen (PhD student)
- Feng Chen (PhD student)
- Khaled Labidi (visiting PhD student from CNRSM, Tunis, 9-11/2016)