Aalto Science Institute international summer research programme
The call for the 2024 summer research positions is now closed. The application period was 02-29 January 29, 2024.
Please follow this page for updates on the program.
About the 2024 summer research programme call
We have 60 research positions for bachelor's and master's students in 53 projects in 11 departments across the School of Science and the three Engineering schools.
- Update 26.02: The recruiting process is proceeding according to the timeline below. AScI will notify all unsuccessful candidates by March 5 or soon thereafter.
- Update 15.02: Don't worry if your Workday application shows as "inactive", or that you may not be able to see all the data you entered in the application. None of this has any meaning and are just unfortunate "features" of the workday system. So everything is OK, and no need to email about this :)
- Update 04.02: Please remember to check your spam folder as we have cases of emails from our profs going to spam at some other universities.
- Update 31.01: Thanks everybody who applied. We received over 4300 applications!
- Update 31.01: Applicants, see the dates below. Updates will be announced here. During the busy recruiting phase please understand we have limited time to respond to personal queries.
- Update 02.01.2024: The call was opened. See the "How to apply" link below to access the application form.
- Update 19.12.2023: The 2024 projects are posted. See the link below.
- The summer 2023 programe was a great success. We received a record of over 1600 applications from 84 countries. 52 interns from 23 countries spent a productive and enjoyable summer here at Aalto University.
Positions are potentially available in all schools within Aalto university. They are the schools of Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Business, and Arts, Design and Architecture. Typically all the positions are in the schools of science and engineering. The positions usually last for twelve weeks in the period June to August, which is the maximum length of an AScI contract.
The students are employed as research assistants directly by the departments and research groups, and the exact timing of the employment should be agreed upon with the hosting department.
Applicants must read through the programme web pages before contacting AScI. For FAQ see the "How to apply to the AScI international summer research programme" page linked to above. The FAQ includes some info on EU sanctions.
AScI application and selection schedule
In the selection of students, priority is given to students who have not previously studied or worked at Aalto.
|Deadline for applications
|Student selection and interviews
|Invitation letters from Departments
|Internship, get to know Finland course, poster exhibition
|June-August 2024 (12 weeks)
Activities for AScI summer researchers
- "Get to know Finland" course. This course is offered only in June.
- Regular lunch gatherings.
- Social, culutral and sports activities and day trips.
- AScI poster exhibiton. In mid to late August the participants will present the scientific results of their summer work to the Aalto community. (2023 exhibition notice)
All positions are located on the Aalto University Otaniemi campus in Espoo, Finland. (Remote employment is not possible.)
Students will be employed as research assistants by their hosting department. The salary is sufficient to cover living costs, including accommodation. The salary is determined based on experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University. The minimum salary is 1800 €/ month for bachelor's students and higher for master's students. In addition, a single fixed travel bonus is paid (400€/800€ for those inside/outside Europe).
Housing & Relocation
- Selected summer researcher will get access to extensive documention and AScI chat groups. This incudes info on visa, housing, and other info about moving to and living in Finland.
- AScI directly helps with all these issues.
- Some housing is available directly through student housing organiztions. Subletting from students who are away for the summer is one of the best options.
Contact Info for Applicants
- For academic questions concerning the research topic, please contact the academic contact person listed in each topic description. See the "AScI international summer research program: 2024 project list" page linked to above.
- For general questions concerning the programme or application procedure, contact the AScI admin at after reading the FAQ on the the page "How to apply to the AScI international summer research programme" linked to above
- [email protected]
- AScI applicants zulip chat platform: https://asci-applicants.zulip.aalto.fi/join/pk76gyvr3bele74tmgoohnsj/
Q&A zoom meeting: To be announced
Register here to get the passcode: To be announced